PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 1150 value?

Matt Day
09-02-2015, 9:13 PM
I'm considering buying a Powermatic 1150, pea green version non-variable speed drill press. I currently have a Craftsman 17" which has done ok, but if I'm not mistaken the PM has a 6" stroke which is about double the Cman. The PM doesn't have a crank to raise/lower the table (which I think is the tilt table) and is single phase. What kind of value on a DP like this? Both monetary and advantages/disadvantages over my current Cman? I think the PM is a 15", so I'd loose 1" of throat.

Thanks

Kent A Bathurst
09-02-2015, 9:29 PM
What kind of shape is it in? Checked the runout, quill movement, belts, etc?

Matt Day
09-02-2015, 10:26 PM
I haven't seen it in person yet. The two pictures I've seen look good (though not well framed) and hopefully hobby shop owned. For value sake, assume all is within reason.

Kent A Bathurst
09-02-2015, 11:07 PM
For the right machine, I would not have a problem with $500 at the top end, maybe a little more if I really loved it.

My 1150A-VS cost $850, but it had been newly tuned up by a very solid guy - bearings, belts, etc...... That was definitely the high end, but good ones don't come along very often, and it was what I really wanted............. it also has the production table [which means the table height crank] - no arc of shame.

Matt Day
09-03-2015, 6:15 AM
Thanks Kent. What advantages does it have over my current DP? Mass and spindle travel, anything else? NOT a craftsman is an advantage I guess.

Jim German
09-03-2015, 7:08 AM
I looked for awhile for a Powermatic 1150 and they seemed to be all over the place in price. Saw a couple in the $300 range, and a couple over $1k. There didn't seem to be any correlation in condition either. I'd guess the one you're looking at would be worth ~$500 maybe more depending on condition.

Biggest advantage of the 1150 is the quill stroke. Make sure you check the chuck before buying though, alot of times the chuck will get banged on and will be bent a bit making changing bits irritating.

FYI, I ended up getting a Bridgeport milling machine instead of a DP. Not much more money for a ton more functionality.

Matt Day
09-03-2015, 7:35 AM
Thanks Jim. So what am I looking for on the chuck? Just that it opens and closes smoothly?

Another question. I'll bring my Oneway gauge to check runout, but that can be a worthless measurement if there is play in the spindle. How is play taken out with the 1150?

Jeff Duncan
09-03-2015, 9:10 PM
Too many factors to really get a good estimate. I bought my 1150 3/4 hp variable speed for $700 6 or so years ago. Last year when I moved to a new shop I sold it and I think I only got something like $500 for it:( The market changes regularly but I'd easily pay $500 to replace it….though the variable speed is worth more to me than the non.

good luck,
JeffD

Kent A Bathurst
09-04-2015, 9:53 AM
Matt:

Mass, quill depth, long-term performance, Not a crapsman ;).....

On the details side - the post goes through the head, so you can raise and lower the head all the way to the floor - - which ain't a big benefit, but you can position it where it is most comfortable. Also - that post means you can rotate the head either direction, and the table also.

On the spindle - it is a split head, so you can snug that down.

I would jump all over it, and sell the craftsman for whatever to offset part of the cost.

But - that's just me.

Tom M King
09-04-2015, 2:59 PM
I have one like that, and wouldn't trade it for a new one, or one of the Reeves drive ones.