PDA

View Full Version : Lawn mower help

David Klug
08-23-2005, 10:52 PM
My old lawn mower bit the dust and I'm looking for a new one. The one I'm thinking about is a Toro self perpelled because my old legs don't like to push any more. Has anyone had any experience with them and how well do they stand up?

DK

Michael Perata
08-23-2005, 11:44 PM
David

I have a very nice McClane with about 10 hours on it and will drop it off next week when I'm in Rocklin. This is a pro-mower used on greens.
http://www.mclanemower.com/reelmowers.asp
If you are interested I'll send you some pictures and a price.

Stefan Antwarg
08-24-2005, 6:46 AM
I use a self propelled craftsman with a honda engine. I have been happy with it.

Stefan

John Hart
08-24-2005, 7:00 AM
I bought a self-propelled Craftsman about 10 years ago. When it was new, I had to prime it 5 times and pull once to start. Now after 10 years, I have to prime it 10 times and pull twice to start. I'm very happy with it. If it ever dies, I'll replace it with another just like it.

Steve Ash
08-24-2005, 7:41 AM
When I first got married my father in law gave me a John Deere 112 ( yeah he had to bribe me with a mower:D ) It lasted for a long time and only failed when my son forgot to check the oil and seized the engine. After that I have had a Husqvarna...lasted a couple of years and it is now in the scrapyard. Currently I have another John Deere (GT262) it is a wonderful machine and I am very happy with it and since the kids are grown I check the oil myself which should add to the longevity!

Rich Konopka
08-24-2005, 7:51 AM
Dave:

I bought one last year and it has worked out real well. It is so easy to use and start. GTS - Guaranteed to Start. I have the electric start. My 13 year mows the lawn as part of her allowance and the self propelled works out well for her.

I bought it from a Toro dealer as opposed to my neighbor who bought it from HD. He had all sorts of "Bloody Problems" with the carburetor and ended up taking it to a dealer and paying for it to be repaired. Go with the dealer and you won't regret it from a price/service perspective.

Cheers

Donnie Raines
08-24-2005, 9:59 AM
I bought a Toro GTS about 3 years back for cutting all the stuff my rideing mower can't get. It has been great, and the quailty of cut is sound.

Ken Garlock
08-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I just bought our second Snapper in 25 years. The only reason to replace it was that the SECOND engine gave out. The deck and drive mechanism was still serviceable. :eek:

They are available with either Kawasaki or Briggs & Strattion engines. My preference is the Kawasaki. LOML needed an electric start, so I had to buy one with the B&S engine since the Kawasaki did not have that option. :(

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
My neighobr and I replaced our mowers in the same year.

I bought a Craftsman self-propelled, battery-starting so my wife could mow when I'm out of town on business.

My neighbor bought a Honda, selfpropelled with a blade clutch.

Comparisons.....Craftsman battery....and charging system...poor design and have replaced one expensive battery and need to replace the replacement. Motor has to be shutoff to empty the bag. I can start it manually. My wife struggles to start it manually.

Honda...blade clutch allows bag to be emptied without shutting off the motor.
Both have about the same number hours and in other repects cut and function equally.

If I were doing it over, I'd spend the extra money for the Honda. It' d be less hassles for the LOML when she has to mow the yard.

Rob Russell
08-24-2005, 11:18 AM
David,

How large is your yard? How long does it take to mow now? Is it pretty much open or do you have a lot of trees, shrubs, walls and other things to mow around? Is the yard pretty flat or does it have hills?

Answers to these questions will make a difference in which mower is best for you.

Rob

JayStPeter
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
IMO, Honda and Kawasaki make the best engines. So, I'd look for something with one of those. My small mower is a Honda with blade brake clutch. I prefer to never have the engine kill safety devices. I disabled it on my previous mower.

Jay

Lee DeRaud
08-24-2005, 1:48 PM
IMO, Honda and Kawasaki make the best engines.There's a Tim Allen bit lurking ominously just below the surface of this thread...
:D

Andrew Ault
08-24-2005, 2:14 PM
When I was a kid I had a Snapper Trucut front throw reel mower with a retrofitted 7 HP motor...that was a beast - all steel big levers for the reel and drive clutches, steel catcher basket. I made a lot of money mowing lawns in my neighborhood and never understood why other kids didn't do it.

These days I mow my little lawns with a rechargable Black and Decker mower that San Diego County sold me new for $125 (and in trade for a wasted old gas mower) to save the planet from evil gasoline. I don't need to buy and store gas and it works Ok for a small yard... But, man, I miss that big mowing beast. I don't know how to write the Tim Allen noises: "Oh, ho, ho, ah, ah! MORE POWER!" (like that, Lee?)

Don Baer
08-24-2005, 2:22 PM
Mr. Lee. $75/month and he comes every thursday.

:D

Lee DeRaud
08-24-2005, 6:22 PM
But, man, I miss that big mowing beast. I don't know how to write the Tim Allen noises: "Oh, ho, ho, ah, ah! MORE POWER!" (like that, Lee?)Yeah, kinda...but what I was really thinking of was the 1975 Kawasaki Z1 I used to own. Bet that engine would make for a pretty awesome lawnmower.:eek:

Vaughn McMillan
08-24-2005, 7:03 PM
Yeah, kinda...but what I was really thinking of was the 1975 Kawasaki Z1 I used to own. Bet that engine would make for a pretty awesome lawnmower.:eek:
OK, it's not a lawnmower, but I can't resist showing what can happen when this type of talk gets out of hand (http://tg3k.com/tg3k/ultimatechainsaw.mpeg). [links to a short video clip]

- Vaughn

Don Baer
08-24-2005, 7:16 PM
OK, it's not a lawnmower, but I can't resist showing what can happen when this type of talk gets out of hand (http://tg3k.com/tg3k/ultimatechainsaw.mpeg). [links to a short video clip]

- Vaughn

WOW....:eek:

It is woodworking....:p

Jason Roehl
08-24-2005, 8:02 PM
Now that I've modified it slightly, I like my Briggs&Stratton engine. When I first got my (some generic name) mower with the B&S engine about 9 1/2 years ago, it would always die in the thickest parts of the lawn. Then I realized that the carb had a throttle-limiting spring on it, probably so the mower would be quieter. I stretched that spring, and now the mower cuts great. Too bad the handle has just about had it, because the engine is still running strong, even though the oil's only been changed 3-4 times in its life. But I'm being kind to it in other ways...I'm still looking for ways to reduce the overall size of the lawn on my property--garden, play area, woodpile, maybe some more gravel parking area, etc. Personally, I've never cared for self-propelled units--they go too slow, I've got long legs.

Tom Seaman
08-25-2005, 9:13 AM
I just bought the Toro Personal Pace Mower (model 20017, from HD for $350) about 3 weeks ago. It has been a vast improvement over my smaller push mower. I was a little weary about the 'Personal Pace' system, but I really like it now. The throttle is part of the handle, so when you push a little harder, the handle slides down slightly (you don't notice) and the mower gets more juice. It cuts great, and bags, mulches, or side discharges depending on your needs.

It was rated a Consumer Reports 'Best Buy' recently. It starts easy, but they also have an electric start for a little more if you want that.

Ed Breen
08-25-2005, 7:36 PM
I bought a Kubota diesel tractor in '95. I pull a 5' land pride finish mower and a 6' John Deere brushog. I also have 1 Ford 8N for backup. I also use a B&D electric around the house.

Ed:D

Ed Breen
08-25-2005, 7:38 PM
P.S.

When I lived in Chicago back in the late 70's I had a 25x15 front lawn and about a 30x25 back yard and I had an Aeriens Emporer with a thirty six inch cut. Talk about overkill.
Ed

JayStPeter
08-25-2005, 10:09 PM
P.S.

When I lived in Chicago back in the late 70's I had a 25x15 front lawn and about a 30x25 back yard and I had an Aeriens Emporer with a thirty six inch cut. Talk about overkill.
Ed

Sounds like perfect size to me :D .

I have around 1/3 acre and have a similar mower ... 36" cut with a 15HP Kawasaki. This thread has me eyeing my 125HP Kawasaki motor though. I'm just afraid it'll tear my arms off when it hits 15K RPM :cool: It comes close enough now if I have it in the fastest gear and grab one brake. Zero turn radius is at the wheels, not the bars :eek:

Jay