PDA

View Full Version : Websites, resources, info, tips, etc - For Building Rustic Furniture

Ted Otto
09-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Hello!

This is the first post I've started since I joined. A quick run down... I been into woodworking since I was a kid... I did all the woodworking classes in Jr. High & High school, worked two summers for the school district building cabinets, tables, show-cases, shelves, etc for the schools and worked two years at a cabinet shop in town. I'm currently finishing a loft bed/desk set-up for my son and am still trying to finish the inside of my shop...

So back to my question... I've got a bunch of rough cut oak boards from an oak that went down at my father inlaws. A friend of my Dad's milled them up for me, he had a saw mill...not sure what kind it is, its not a band saw one, but a big 3' to 4' diameter old circular saw one, belt drive off of an old IH tractor motor. I got to watch him run it for a little bit one night, pretty neat operation to watch. I've got the lumber stickered and stacked up in the back room of my shop drying, it's been drying for well over a year now. My plan for it is to build a rustic style bedroom set for my wife and I. We were at Cabela's in their "Home/Cabin" area a few years ago and they had a pretty cool bedroom set...my wife loved it...except for the price tag on it. So I decided that those boards will be used to build a bedroom set...someday. They have the big swirled/circular saw mill lines in them and should look pretty neat on the bedroom set. So I'm asking if there are any websites or info anywhere with tips and/or ideas on building rustic style furniture? I've looked and haven't found too much. I guess things like when you make clean cuts ways to make those clean cuts look milled or weathered again. Ways to sand to avoid getting slivers but still keeping the rustic look. Finishing ideas, things like that. I'm not planning to do the Log Style Furniture, but pretty typical solid panel sides with a face frame front type construction...but trying keep the rough cut look. I have a planner so I can plane them, probably one side only to get down to a 3/4" thickness, again for a typical build. If anyone has any recommendations, websites, info, etc that they're willing to share, I'd appreciate it. This project will be down the road a ways, but thought it doesn't hurt to investigate and get info before hand...should help me when it comes to designing everything.
Thanks!
Ted

Ted Otto
09-08-2015, 1:41 PM
Well looks like I'll have to wing it...if anyone comes across any info or wants to share, let me know...thanks.

Rich Enders
09-08-2015, 2:25 PM
Ted,

I took some notes from a Saw Mill Creek (SMC) post from about July 15, 2014. I am not sure how to search SMC, but someone here should know, maybe even the author. You may even be able to try a Google search as I have come across some SMC posts there.

The poster described a process for maintaining the rustic look of 100 year old fir floor joists when making a table, or a counter top. Following are my notes:

-Old fir floor joists with original saw marks.

-Belt sand to remove fur, but leave saw marks, and other natural marks.

-Sand (ROS) to P120 again leaving original marks.

-Apply West System 2 part epoxy w/207 hardener for first coat, (2nd?)

-Sand (?)

-Topcoat with Waterlox Original.

-Rub out to desired sheen.

Pretty crude notes. Treat them for what they are worth.

On the same page I also noted the following regarding salvaging some cupped boards:

You can flatten cupped boards by saw kerfing the underside; Clamping flat, and filling the kerfs with 2 part epoxy.

Maria Alvarado
09-08-2015, 2:28 PM
Hi Ted,
You might Google "diy barnwood bed". The first several results from that search should give you some good places to start. Looks like the goal for those projects was to retain the distressed nature of the wood, which it sounds like you are trying to do. It sounds like you have the background to judge the usefulness of those sites.
Good luck and post pictures!

Ted Otto
09-08-2015, 3:09 PM
Thanks guys! I'll do some more checking around.

Jesse Busenitz
09-08-2015, 6:28 PM
It's not going to match your circular sawmill marks but I've heard of people running a board backwards against the front edge of a resaw bandsaw blade to "rough it up". I'm not a pro at it but I have built a few projects using barn wood and always just finished them with boiled linseed oil. Also to to age a fresh cut, mix vinegar and steel wool for a couple day and then brush it on your fresh cut. Google distressing wood and you'll come up with all sorts of wild ideas, some good, some not so good.

Marc Timmy Smith
09-09-2015, 4:32 PM
Pinterest is absolutely awesome when it comes to ideas for furniture. I use it all the time to get ideas for projects. Join Pinterest and search for rustic furniture ideas, you'll be amazed by all the info and plans you can get on there.