PDA

View Full Version : Installing Wood Countertops

Dan Mages
09-02-2015, 12:17 PM
I will be installing a John Boos cherry butcher block next week in my kitchen. They provide a pretty good installation guide to installing the counters. I am wondering if anyone here has additional advice or suggestions for installing it. There is a seldom used dishwasher under the counter. Is there anything I should do to protect it? The only thing the instructions suggest is to make sure there is plenty of insulation between the appliance and the counter. There is a fiber blanket on the dishwasher. Is that enough, or should I slip a 1/2" piece of foam board in there as well?

Thanks!

Dan

Brian Henderson
09-02-2015, 1:39 PM
Not knowing the installation instructions, I couldn't really say if the insulation is enough, but is it going to hurt anything to put in foam board as well? I wouldn't think so, better to be safe than sorry.

Malcolm McLeod
09-02-2015, 2:06 PM
I built butcher-block b.walnut island top (6' x 7' x 1.75") and it has a dishwasher under it. The differing humidity level between top and bottom caused it to bow - - direction depending on where the high %RH was. (This apparently just from the steam on drying cycle or from a stretch of low humidity days; there was no leak.)

I finally removed the top, laid down and inset a 1/8" Masonite barrier wrapped in 6 mil plastic, then put the top back. This seems to have balanced the moisture flow in and out of top.

I don't know of a way to shop finish a top that is 100% moisture proof, so just advise you anticipate this in some way.

Even considered a small computer fan to get air changes under the top, but that just seems so .........not good!

Dan Mages
09-02-2015, 3:26 PM
Ah, yes! This would be helpful information http://www.johnboos.com/uploads/files/PDF/KCT-INSTALL-GUIDE.pdf

I am thinking about drilling vent holes that will be concealed by the drawer box and by the microwave. Anything will help, right?

Dan

Dan Mages
09-21-2015, 6:18 PM
The counter is here and ready to be trimmed and installed. I think the best saw to cut the counter is my circular saw. What crosscut blade does the peanut gallery recommend for fine work?

eugene thomas
09-21-2015, 6:41 PM
I used router with straight bit to get good edge after cut with skill saw but some use track saw to cut.

Kent Adams
09-21-2015, 7:16 PM
The counter is here and ready to be trimmed and installed. I think the best saw to cut the counter is my circular saw. What crosscut blade does the peanut gallery recommend for fine work?

John Boos, really?

Lee Schierer
09-21-2015, 7:33 PM
There is a seldom used dishwasher under the counter. Is there anything I should do to protect it?

I think I would put 3-4 coats of a high quality polyurethane on the underside of the counter top above the dishwasher. Hot moisture from the dishwasher won't do your counter top any favors.

Pat Barry
09-21-2015, 8:43 PM
John Boos, really?

Please explain your comment. Thanks

Dan Mages
09-21-2015, 9:22 PM
John Boos, really?
John Boos. Really! The quality is amazing and looks great. I got it with the logo front and center to help entice a future owner. It is better than the dreck sold at Lumber Liquidators. Almost every butt seam was filled with wood putty and the strips were less than 1" wide.

I think I would put 3-4 coats of a high quality polyurethane on the underside of the counter top above the dishwasher. Hot moisture from the dishwasher won't do your counter top any favors.
Got it, thanks!

I used router with straight bit to get good edge after cut with skill saw but some use track saw to cut.
I'll keep that in mind, but a smooth finish on the side is not 100% necessary as the counter will be sitting between the outside wall and the oven cabinet. Square, true and no tear out is the name of the game here. I am cutting off roughly 6". I should have enough leftover to make a small cutting board!

Dan Mages
10-08-2015, 1:43 PM
I shaved off 1/4" from the end with my 60 tooth circular saw blade. It gave it a pretty smooth cut with no tear out, so I took the plunge and made a final cut. Everything fits well. I need to find a way to cover the 1/8" expansion gaps since it is between a wall and cabinet.

David Helm
10-09-2015, 4:02 PM
Back to your original question. Most dishwashers have a vent near the top front that vents steam. It is known to discolor wood at the location of the vent.

Jay Jolliffe
10-10-2015, 3:00 PM
I put in a Mahogany counter which went over the dishwasher & we have a framers sink with apron mounted under. I coated the back & all unseen edges with west system epoxy. Coated what shows with about 7 coats of urethane & never had a problem....Been in for 10 yrs no warping....