PDA

View Full Version : Delta customer support comeback????

Jim Colombo
09-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I've been having "ON/OFF" and "REVERSING" switch problems for years now on my Delta 46-460. I've replaced the power switch a total of 4 times and gave up on the reversing switch after the 2nd failed attempt. After this last go-around Delta stepped up and replaced the entire control box FREE OF CHARGE. I might add my machine is well out of warranty.

After all the negative press Delta has received (and I'm just as guilty as others in that regard) I think they may just be getting back to caring for their customers.

Kudos to Delta

Thom Sturgill
09-02-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't think it was a matter of Delta not caring, but rather about being tied into contracts that prevented them from doing their own support while B&D still had any parts. And then about the need to gear up to provide those parts (and the support tech) themselves.

Bill Golden
09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Delta has received well deserved negative press. Many stores have stopped carrying their products. Most of this comes from lack of parts support. Delta has been bought & sold many times over the last few years. There were even rumors that they were out of business. I have a Delta lathe. This lathe was the last ship out'a China. I worked at the store were I bought it. Got it home put it together. Crooked main shaft. Took it back to the store & swapped it for the other machine on the floor. Home again crooked shaft. being new and under warranty took it to the service center. They rebuilt the entire headstock. Home again, crooked shaft. Back to the service center. When I went back to get it the repair tech asked to see me. He told me that he had gone through 5 of the shafts in his parts bin before he found one that was straight. NOW! 3 years later guess what? CROOKED SHAFT. Having had a degree in machine design many years ago, it is my opinion that the steel used in the shaft is not adequate to support the pressure applied to it when using a Reeves drive for speed control. This is my last Delta tool. NO MORE! I've has enough! When I can I'll replace this piece of junk with a good lathe from some manufacturer other than Delta.

Bill "Pop" Golden

Peter Lamb
09-02-2015, 3:32 PM
I have had a 46-460 for over five years and love it. Yes in the beginning it had switch and forward and reverse peoblems. The staff was very helpful and professional and when the parts came in from where ever they were sent and staff was very helpful in assisting with installation since I am 90 miles from a service center. If it is ever beyond repair I will buy another is is quite a bit better than the Jet in my opinion.

Brian Kent
09-02-2015, 4:48 PM
I think these couple of responses show that if Delta gets parts constructed and get back to good customer service, some people will step back in (cautiously) to buy their tools. I have used a Delta 46-460 since 2012 and I think it is a very balanced and smooth machine. After a nightmare parts (rather, no-parts) experience, I just hope nothing breaks. If they have the parts to replace I can be a little more relaxed about it.

More recently, I wanted to replace a couple of nylon gears on my drum sander and found the parts to be nearly impossible to find.