PDA

View Full Version : Help with shellac / grain filler

Jeffrey Cole
09-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Good Morning,
I am using shellac as a grain filler. I have 3 coats on and need to know how far back do I sand. Do I go all the way to bear wood except for the shellac in the grain /pores? Can I use a ROS or is this a hand sand? What grit do you suggest I use? The wood is walnut and the top coat will be Waterlox.
Thank you so very much for your help!!!
Jeffrey

Prashun Patel
09-02-2015, 11:25 AM
It doesn't matter how much you sand back. As long after you sand you are left with a smooth, flat surface, you will have success on your subsequent varnish coats.

You don't want to have any ridges, runs, sags, drips though. You also don't want the shellac to be built up to a high film.

Don't worry if you've over sanded and have some shiny and some nonshiny parts. Just focus on how it looks to your FINGERS. If it's smooth, your waterlox will fix all that.

Sanding with a ROS is my preferred way. You'll need to take care to avoid swirls or corning, but sanding wet can help with this, and going up in grits can help with this. I find using a ROS gently and properly and thoroughly can be better than trying to sand by hand. But YMMV.

Jeffrey Cole
09-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Prashun, thank you for your help. I am way over my head in this project. I like being over my head as that is how we all learn with help from people like you. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO ON THIS FORUM.
Jeffrey

Prashun Patel
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
"ALL YOU DO"

I'm prolific because I'm addicted, not qualified!