PDA

View Full Version : What is going on in this youtube video?

tom suica
09-02-2015, 1:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-xf3IVsz_4&list=PL4nIHXEClbKYeWoSOyX8XgS0spiLRZptM

Does anyone recognize what table saw this is? Also those bee frames are 3/8 thick and looks like he has 3 blades. Anyone do this? Some saws have extended arbors you can purchase.

Kent A Bathurst
09-02-2015, 1:50 AM
Just some table saw, with a power feeder installed. Brand I dunno - I don't know the language on the screen, much less the equipment type.

It has a larger-capacity arbor than typical WW saws. You can do this on your TS to whatever arbor capacity you have. Just need spacers between the blades, that's all.

But - it is tiny for an industrial gang rip - they come 12" - 48", and would do the entire blank in one pass. At 10x the speed.

paul cottingham
09-02-2015, 2:13 AM
It is not a saw. Its a shaper, with a power feed, I'm pretty sure.

Kent A Bathurst
09-02-2015, 2:28 AM
Paul, brudda......you think?

How is a shaper taking in a block of wood and slicing off pieces from the edge?

It has already been thru the shaper, now they are slicing it into strips...........

Bradley Gray
09-02-2015, 7:28 AM
Gotta be a TS. I set up my PM66 with 2 blades when I have to make a bunch of tenons. They do look like ultra thin blades from the exit kerf.

glenn bradley
09-02-2015, 8:35 AM
Yep, tablesaw with a feeder.

paul cottingham
09-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Paul, brudda......you think?

How is a shaper taking in a block of wood and slicing off pieces from the edge?

It has already been thru the shaper, now they are slicing it into strips...........

Perhaps i didnt watch enough of the video or it was late, or I am a dummy. It sure looks like a shaper to me. But I'm mostly a Neander now (hopefully no one will take offense at that phrase) so what the heck do I know.

Peter Quinn
09-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Looks like an older SCMI table saw with the slider table, worked in a shop that had one of those "pre-format" machines going back to the mid 1970's. Might be why Paul saw a shaped in his mind, but I'm pretty sure given the output the cut is coming from below. Must be real skinny blades, he old SCMI I used had a heck of an arbor and could probably have stacked that may super thin blades. Interesting idea there , I watched a few of the series of videos, can't ignore out what they are making?

Scott Allen27
09-02-2015, 2:20 PM
It actually appears to be an old SCMI combo machine - at 1:49 you can see the jointer tables flipped up on the left. It also looks to have the slider outrigger mounted right next to the power feeder - the power feeder looks to be mounted at the end of the main shaper table.

No idea what hes making.

Bradley Gray
09-02-2015, 6:07 PM
He's making the ends for frames that go in a beehive - a whole lot of them!

Art Mann
09-02-2015, 7:12 PM
Wow! That brings back memories. Right after I got married, I was poor and looking for a way to make extra money. The only stationary equipment I had was a table saw, a router and a 4 inch jointer. I used to scrounge 2 by cutoffs from house building sites and make frames. I salvaged 1 X 8 and 1 X 10 material from shipping crates used for shipping artillery rounds to an Army Depot. I built brood chambers and supers with these. I bought the salvage lumber for $6 per pickup load. The process was very slow just slicing one frame end at a time and machining the complex shaped top bars. I wholesaled a bunch of bee hives to a local supplier and I sold quite a few directly. I also built up my apiary from 3 hives to 30.

By the way, the frame sides this guy is making aren't common in the US. He is ripping off pieces from a rectangular block. US made frames are something of a "Y" shape rather than rectangular.

Robert Engel
09-02-2015, 7:15 PM
Looks like a gang saw.
Or a multi-bladed table saw.

Chris Padilla
09-02-2015, 7:55 PM
The thread title is Serbo/Croatian and says "sawing side moldings" but I see Tom also speaks the language assuming he is the same one who posted a question in the video thread.

tom suica
09-02-2015, 9:36 PM
I ran it through a translator I do not speak their language. I think it is a table saw also. There are 30mm arbor extensions out there for some saws. I think its up to 30mm dado stack plus a fat nut. can anyone speak about an arbor extension on any saw?

Chris Padilla
09-02-2015, 9:58 PM
My wife is from Serbia. She said it was more Croatian.

Mike Cutler
09-02-2015, 10:11 PM
THe operator is making end bars for extraction super frames, for a standard Langsworth style hive.They're not long enough for deep supers.
The parts are the two ends of a frame. The top bar and split bottom bar will be nailed into the notches on the end bars.
A sheet of wax foundation will go into the frame and wires, or clips will hold it in. Drilling holes in the end bars is the next step.
He is doing it on some type of a multi blade saw. The top and bottom notches are plowed with a dado, or shaper.

Art Mann
09-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Here is an image I found of an upside down brood frame that makes the parts being manufactured a little more clear. Below that is a plan for a frame.

http://img.weiku.com/a/003/572/special_wooden_beehive_frame_for_Australia_6174_3. jpg

tom suica
09-03-2015, 12:45 AM
No, I do not speak the language. I ran some words through google translator. Was really trying to figure out some specs of the arbor or the machine.

tom suica
09-06-2015, 7:48 PM
Any moderator any idea why this posting does not have a "Page 1 of 2"

Lee Schierer
09-06-2015, 8:41 PM
He's making the ends for frames that go in a beehive - a whole lot of them!

Yes that is exactly what they are making. I have dozens of them in my be hives.

Looks like a gang saw.
Or a multi-bladed table saw.

They are using a power feeder and a gang saw to cut three at a time from larger pieces of material that have been milled to fit the top bar and bottom bar for a frame to hold honeycob.

Lee Schierer
09-06-2015, 8:44 PM
Any moderator any idea why this posting does not have a "Page 1 of 2"

I think the software needs a certain total length of posts depending on the size of individual posts before it goes to additional pages. Since most of the posts thus far have been one liners It doesn't need a second page yet.