PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of these air scrubber? Reasonable price. From bosslaser

Clark Pace
09-01-2015, 11:00 PM
https://www.bosslaser.com/fume-extraction/fume-extraction-system.html

I am looking for one.

Bob A Miller
09-01-2015, 11:51 PM
Yes...looks like the same one I imported in with my Gwieke. Works ok, the fan is only about 550 com, probably needs a bit more oomph. I added a harbour frieght red fan in front of it & it works fine. Probably better units out there. Make sure you get extra filters as the pre filter bags are a bit unusual.

Clark Pace
09-02-2015, 8:32 AM
https://www.bosslaser.com/fume-extraction/fume-extraction-system.html

I am looking for one.

How much was it to import?

Bert Kemp
09-02-2015, 9:24 AM
You could build one for around $300 see Dan's blog for material list and instructions

Glen Monaghan
09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
I made something similar for much less. Basically a tall box/cabinet made from melamine/mdf, only I made the front panel removable to allow use of shelves to hold the filters. That way, you don't have to disassemble the "stack" to get at each filter, instead you just pop off the front panel and slide filters in and out as needed. I sized the box to contain a 12" inline duct fan (relatively quiet yet still moves a decent amount of air through the filters), large (for lower impedance to air flow) 4" thick (for longer life) whole house furnace pre-filter and final HEPA filter, plus two 4" thick trays of activated charcoal (just one tray wasn't enough for me when cutting acrylic).

Bob A Miller
09-02-2015, 7:26 PM
Been a few years, but as I recall it was in the 400-500 range, but there were extra filters & a bag in of charcoal pellets. Shipping at the time was nothing compared to the laser.

Michael Slee
09-05-2015, 11:38 AM
I purchased a G Weike laser just short of a year ago and ordered this extraction unit. It works sort of ok for me. I live in a normal residential street and wanted one so I wouldn't stink out the neighbors. Cost was $500 to buy but of course there was no shipping if you get what I mean as it was just part of the container shipment as I live in Australia. Obviously you can get one from G Weike and pay shipping or just go to Boss lasers.

I find that when I do acrylic it still stinks and has done so from day one. The top component is the only one with charcoal in it and in my opinion there is just not enough contact time with the gas flow and the charcoal. It simply passes through way too quick to get rid off all the smells. Flow for me is good and there is never any smell/smoke emitted at the laser itself but just what seems to blow back into the garage door as I wheel the unit far enough down the driveway as I can get with the 6" flexible duct that I have. I tried it with the top charcoal unit off and stunk pretty bad so it does do something.....just not enough.

As most know cutting that acrylic just has that blah smell and is simply yuck.

I have been considering making a large charcoal unit (think something the size of a rubbish bin or so) but may need to use the extra extraction fan that came with the laser as the differential pressure drop through a lot of carbon may be too high just for one fan unit. I am lucky to have lots of carbon pellets at work as we have large carbon filtration units in our chemical manufacturing plant. Will have to get one of engineers to run the DP calculations or simply just make a unit up and as they say "suck it and see"!!!
I have the skills to make my own extraction unit, there really isn't much in them but it was just easier at the time to just order one to get the laser up and going quick sticks.

Cheers M

Glen Monaghan
09-05-2015, 3:32 PM
I found 4" carbon depth totally inadequate for cutting acrylic. I use 8" (two 4" deep trays) and it works well for me. Increasing depth of the carbon does reduce air flow rate, but not nearly as much as adding in the HEPA filter. I went with large surface area (16"x18" if I recall correctly) filters and trays to minimize flow restriction through the series of 4" prefilter, 8" carbon, and 4" HEPA filters.

That said, I was having some remodeling done recently. I finished a job cutting acrylic and went back to ask how much longer the plumbers thought they needed. I was getting dizzy and had a headache from the fumes put off from their PVC pipe gluing, so I was going to leave for a little bit to clear my head. The junior plumber replied, saying that he remembered the PVC glue bothering him for a while when he first started but never smelled it now. However, he wished he could leave too because he had a horrible headache from "whatever you are doing on that machine over there". The senior plumber agreed that he'd rather smell the glue than the fumes my laser was creating. I've never had anyone else complain about it and I'm particularly sensitive to acrylic fumes so I was a bit surprised, a bit skeptical even, but it shows that YMMV...