PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to the living hinge

Bruce Clumpner
09-01-2015, 8:14 PM
Just found this on Instructables...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-flexible-duble-curvature-surface-laser-cut-p/

Looks pretty cool, and lots of time to run, but could make it into a lot of things...

Dan Hintz
09-02-2015, 7:21 AM
Hah, Frank just sent me this... looks like a Minkowski Island fractal design.

Lee DeRaud
09-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Before I jump down the AI/DXF rabbit-hole, has anyone converted that file to Corel? (X4-compatible please...)

Brian Leavitt
09-02-2015, 10:47 AM
Here ya go, Lee.

Lee DeRaud
09-02-2015, 2:11 PM
Here ya go, Lee.Cool, thanks!

Junior hall
09-02-2015, 3:02 PM
EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE... I know this was plywood. Could some one explain this. How does a stiff piece of plywood become flexible. Ive watched the video several times but as i said please excuse my ignorance. Not quiet understanding this. It is very interesting

Just got off the phone with Boss Laser may be having a paid step by step one on one instructions on how to work this software. I have read the manual several times but as they also said it is not quit clear understandable to those that are not tech knowledgeable. I have also watched several YouTube videos and each time i have more and more questions and some times more and more confused..

I can do simply engraving of mirrors and wood and glass but the settings are my problem confusing to me WHEN TO USE THEM AND WHEN NOT TO USE THEM.

BOSS LASER HAS GROWN SO FAST AS THEY ARE TRYING TO GET A SEPARATE DEPARTMENT JUST FOR TEACHING THE SOFTWARE ASPECT PART. SO THEY CAN FOCUS ON THE TECH SUPPORT OF THE MACHINES ITS SELF

Thanks and hope for understanding The flex ply wood is very very interesting

Dan Hintz
09-02-2015, 3:47 PM
EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE... I know this was plywood. Could some one explain this. How does a stiff piece of plywood become flexible. Ive watched the video several times but as i said please excuse my ignorance. Not quiet understanding this. It is very interesting

Plywood is stiff because it contains many layers of wood, each consisting of long wood fibers criss-crossed from each other. The technique mentioned above slices those fibers into very short pieces... when wood fibers get small, they can move in relation to each other (bending/flexing) without breaking (at least right away).

Junior hall
09-02-2015, 4:42 PM
Ok i got you now thanks for explaining dan hintz i understand more now thanks once again

Chris J Anderson
09-03-2015, 6:17 AM
That looks really cool,

I guess its one of those things that showcase what a laser can do, great for the laser salesman...

but if you were to do that as a job for somebody it would be seriously expensive.

I wonder what actual use that might have, any idea's ?

cheers,
Chris