PDA

View Full Version : Steam Bending Equipment / Best Steamer?

richard poitras
09-01-2015, 7:43 PM
I have a project coming up that I need to build a steam box. What are you folks using as far as materials for the box and what unit or kind are you using to great the steam? I don’t need a large box something to bend wood about 4’’to 6’’ wide by about 4 ft long. As far as height I am thinking something about 6’’ to 8’’ high so that I can place a few planks at a time in the box. I am making a small dory boat coffee table. It will be built in the traditional lapstake planking method built on a bent frame with copper rivets to hold it together.

Thanks Richard

Bruce Wrenn
09-01-2015, 9:14 PM
If you can still find one, the old style galvanized gas cans are my favorite. Next are the red Eagle gas cans, followed by a large pot with a lid. You could use a 20# propane tank after emptying,and removing valve, which is 3/4" NPT, FYI. Bore a hole on side near bottom, weld in a nipple with an elbow (turned up.) Add another long nipple to refill with water as needed. Don't put a cap on the nipple. My box is just 3/4 exterior plywood with galvanized bolts thru box to support wood. I added some PVC conduit sleeves to bolts to prevent staining on oak.

Julie Moriarty
09-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Try this: http://go.rockler.com/tech/42826-Steam-Box.pdf

I have the steamer and I tried using 4" PVC ala Tommy Mac but it didn't work so well. When I get set up again I'll build this box.

richard poitras
09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the tips and Julie I think the Rockler Plans are the perfect size for what I am doing.