PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic tailstock swing away

Gary Herrmann
09-01-2015, 6:47 PM
Anybody actually used one? How do they compare to the Robust, or the Butler?

David Gilbert
09-01-2015, 8:56 PM
I have the JT Turning Tool "Down N' Out" tail stock manager on my 3520b and love it. As far as I'm concerned this was the best accessory that I purchased for the 3520b. The Powermatic version appears to be a painted copy of the JT but it is about $60 cheaper. I'm sure it will work wonderfully. I have seen the Butler version and it seems that it might get in the way but I have never turned on a lathe with it. The Robust with the lift is really neat but the lathe it a lot more money.

Cheers,
David

Don Bunce
09-01-2015, 11:33 PM
I also have the JT Tuning "down n out". Works great, wouldn't want to be without it. The Powermatic looks to be the same thing.

Dan Case LR
09-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I find the wording used to describe the new swing-away on the Powermatic site really entertaining:

"This robust swing away is designed to fit Powermatic 3520, 3520A, 3520B, and 2020 lathes."

It's the little things, I guess. :D

D.

David Delo
09-02-2015, 6:40 AM
I saw this at the symposium in Pittsburgh and it did look well made and functional for those looking for this feature. I'd probably consider it if it would fit at the end of the 18" bed extension, but it does not. I find the bed extension parked in the upper position works pretty well at providing enough room to get the tailstock far enough out of the way for most of my applications.

Fred Belknap
09-02-2015, 7:11 AM
Have the J T Turning swing away on my 3520B and use it all the time. I keep my headstock about the middle of the ways and just swing the tailstock out of the way to work from the end of the lathe. I had some line up problems when I first got it, took several plastic shims to get it level with the ways.

Hal Taylor
09-02-2015, 9:14 AM
I also have the JT Tools version and love it. The Robust is a completely different animal, and I know nothing about the Butler. I agree with David that it's the best accessory I've gotten for the lathe.

John Altberg
09-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know if this swing away works with the 18" bed extension installed in the lower position?

Barry Richardson
09-02-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a general question about the swing away tail stocks, I don't own one but it seems to me that where the tailstock swings away is right where I like to stand/lean against the bed when I am using my long bar hollowing tool, any insights on this from you that own one?

Joe Kaufman
09-02-2015, 1:05 PM
From the Powermatic website - Does not interfere with the 18" bed extension installed in the lower position...

John Grace
09-03-2015, 7:54 AM
I'm considering getting the equivalent version for my NOVA DVR XP and had a question about the change in weight distribution. Has anyone noticed/experienced that the added weight of both the tailstock and swing away, hanging past the legs, has detrimentally 'lightened' the head stock end of the lathe? I suspect that as the Powermatics are much heavier than my Teknatool any weight shift would be statistically negligible but just curious. THANKS...

Dan Case LR
09-03-2015, 10:35 AM
I'm considering getting the equivalent version for my NOVA DVR XP and had a question about the change in weight distribution. Has anyone noticed/experienced that the added weight of both the tailstock and swing away, hanging past the legs, has detrimentally 'lightened' the head stock end of the lathe? I suspect that as the Powermatics are much heavier than my Teknatool any weight shift would be statistically negligible but just curious. THANKS...

In fairness, I haven't turned anything on a Powermatic with the swingaway,but I did examine a similar one (the JT "Down 'n Out"--same design, different paint) in detail recently. IMO the tailstock on the PMis quite heavy, but the rest of the lathe is so heavy that moving the tailstock to the showed position is like moving a fly on the back of a horse.

Your Nova DVR XP is much lighter, so it's not a fair comparison. You could simulate the weight distribution by hanging your tailstock in the approximate position using a rope or other hanger system and try it before you commit.

D.

David Walser
09-03-2015, 12:43 PM

A friend had the Nova swing away (with the bed extension) on his DVR. He loved it. It allowed him to have a lathe that could handle long spindles in a small space. He also liked the ability to move the tailstock onto the extension and then swing it out of his way. The lathe was mounted on Nova's stand and he never complained about the lathe being unstable with the extension and tailstock swung to the side.

HTH

John Grace
09-03-2015, 2:43 PM
Thanks David, appreciated.

Hal Taylor
09-03-2015, 3:41 PM
I have a general question about the swing away tail stocks, I don't own one but it seems to me that where the tailstock swings away is right where I like to stand/lean against the bed when I am using my long bar hollowing tool, any insights on this from you that own one?

Barry, I have the JTtools version which swings down and to the right if you are looking towards the head stock. I do a lot of hollowing by hand and using two different hollowing rigs. The tail stock is out of the way with no interference.

Joe Bradshaw
09-03-2015, 4:30 PM
All the Powermatic 3520B's at the John Campbell Folk School have them. I have used them while taking classes there. They work well.
Joe

John Altberg
09-04-2015, 9:02 AM
From the Powermatic website - Does not interfere with the 18" bed extension installed in the lower position...

Thanks, Joe. I had missed that on their website.