PDA

View Full Version : What font is this?

Kees Soeters
09-01-2015, 1:40 PM
I tried several Font-search engines, without result..
Help is very appreciated..

Kees

peter gagliardi
09-01-2015, 2:03 PM
I'm sure there is a name for it, but when I was in elementary school, we learned that as "cursive" writing. I heard most schools are dropping it from their lesson plans, what a shame!

Malcolm McLeod
09-01-2015, 2:18 PM
MS Brush Script MT (Bold) is really close. Especially if you make the first 'a' lower case and ~2X the font size as rest of letters.

Looks like it has been run thru a secondary editor (i.e. Paint) to get the shadow/3D effect.

Kees Soeters
09-01-2015, 2:51 PM
Looks like it has been run thru a secondary editor (i.e. Paint) to get the shadow/3D effect.
This is a (retouched) photo from a boat's bow...According to the customer it was hand painted.. But i think the "painter" used stickers..

Indeed there is a shadow in grey:

Now i have to make it in hardwood
Kees

Malcolm McLeod
09-01-2015, 3:57 PM
I have done some graphics for SCADA applications and you can create the text you want, clone it and change to a contrasting font color, then stack the two text strings on top of each other (with a slight offset). This gives you the 'shadow' in any color you want. Variation in the amount and direction of offset changes the 3D effect.

In SCADA at least, this allows you to put a text string on a dynamic background color - - and still have high contrast readability.

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Kees Soeters
09-01-2015, 4:57 PM
It's not the shadow that's needed.. I just need the font as the text will be something else but this font appealed to the customer and, sure, i will try to make his text with that font.... if it can be found..

Kees

Myk Rian
09-01-2015, 9:20 PM
It looks very similar to Kensington.

Tony Zona
09-01-2015, 10:03 PM
It may take some work, but I would try to find the company for which that logo was designed.

A telephone call to find out the graphic designer, and complimenting her or him on the work and her font selection would be a nice way to start.

Explain that your client is captivated by the font and ask if that company would permit you to use it. Find out if the company's business and your client's compete.

Then find the name of the font if the conversation goes well.

If if the company declines permission, nicely ask the designer if he or she could direct you to something similar. Don't forget that designer had already gone through what you're going through.

If the font is commercial, and if you don't compete, it probably will be easier than you think.

Take notes during the call in case the name comes up.

Explain that you would be happy to show a draft of the logo you create that your client likes.

Tell all this to your client so everybody knows what is going on.

Failing that, search Adobe fonts and fonts from other foundries. Search free font websites, and approach your client with what you find. Your client might be even happier with something else, and if I were your client I would be impressed that you cared enough to keep me from infringing.

Kees Soeters
09-02-2015, 3:47 AM
Thank you all for your effort and advices.:)
I will show him a few designs with different fonts (like Kensington, which is known as Calgary Script, and BrushMT) and see which he likes most
Kees

Myk Rian
09-02-2015, 9:32 PM
Do a search for font on google, then look at the images.

Karl Andersson
09-03-2015, 9:32 AM

It looks like a version of Sauber Script font, especially in the treatment of the "b" and "d" -with an enlarged lower-case "a" instead of capital.
Karl

Kees Soeters
09-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I had found Sauber script too.. eventually he choose Brush MT instead..
Thanks all for your contribution

Kees

Alan Caro
09-03-2015, 6:53 PM
Kees Soeters,

I tried the image in a couple of font detectors, also without result. Thinking the word might be a clue to the origin, I entered it in Google Translate which returned that "Abacada" means "Abacada" in Somali. On closer inspection, it appeared the shadow was added by using a screened offset. Given the possibility that the shadow and the rope across was confusing the detection algorithms, a run through Photoshop made a clean image:

Looking more closely it seems to me that the letters may be the result of a font that's been manipulated in form. The angles, spacing, alignment, and X-heights are "casual". I tried a couple more detectors and still no luck. A glance through fonts.com is still promising- I could only review a few, then reviewed the fonts included with Adobe CS6 and Corel Technical Designer and still didn't see anything exactly like it. I have about 900 fonts- and use the same three all the time!

Year ago I made a couple of fonts in CorelDraw, one was a hand-cut 15th C. Italian Jenson- see below "Guarneri"- based on the font used in a 1923 book about the violin making family. This was a lot of work and after it was all done- days and days of work on Bezier-curve models at 750 points, and the results were poor- a lot weight and kerning problems. When it was finished I found I could buy it from Monotype for $179. Called "Poliphilus", Monotype had made the type face for the 1923 book and had issued a digital version. Now, I think there's a $35 version.

A mystery, but it's not completely unfamiliar.

Alan Caro

Karl Andersson
09-04-2015, 7:47 AM
I just assumed the whole name of the boat was "abacadabra", a misspelling of abracadabra I've seen before. Like if a magician owned the boat.

Kees Soeters
09-04-2015, 10:01 AM
the rope across was confusing the detection algorithms, a run through Photoshop made a clean image:

I had done that too but the middle of the "b" was just a guess.. Anyway it didn't lead to a solution, although the font looks familiar as you stated...
I have a collection of about 60.000 fonts (and i used about 100), collected over the years and none of them was so close that it could be that font... A mystery indeed..
About making fonts: The Royal Dutch Navy uses a self designed font that can not be obtained anywhere, Although it's a quite simple straight type, no other font did have the exact same characteristics.. So i had to draw it myself and used it several times..
If you like it, i can post it here...

Kees