PDA

View Full Version : Ain't been around much this summer, Doing lots of glass

Bill Cunningham
08-31-2015, 5:50 PM
I've had kinda a rush on these things over the summer.. They pick em up a Walmart and drop them off to me for etching.. They are using them for family and wedding/anniversary gifts..Anything with a photo on it..
Just a few samples of my glass work..

vic casware
08-31-2015, 6:25 PM
wow that's fantastic
There isn't much call for that kind of stuff here in New Zealand
but i am so going to have a play in the weekend, maybe
i can generate some interest.

Scott Shepherd
08-31-2015, 6:25 PM
Bill, as far as my opinion goes, after doing this for 8 year or so now, you have to be one of the best in the business for engraving glass. I've never seen anyone come even close to your work. Beautiful work, congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us.

David Somers
08-31-2015, 6:42 PM
Bill,

Gorgeous!

Dave
And good to see you back!! <grin>

Bill Cunningham
08-31-2015, 6:51 PM
Thanks folks, I love doing glass, the only time I have had a problem is when someone sends me a file via one of those huge file storage services. I find what ever gets sent to them, they compress it by about half and when I download it, there are usually compression artifacts that won't be seen until the etch is done. At that point there is nothing I can do about it. So, beware of files customers may send using one of these services. Have them attach directly to the email. Eventually, my business will drop all the other stuff an concentrate on wood, glass, and granite portrates. I'm 68 now and have to decide soon, just how much I want to supplement my pension.ha..

Jack Clague
08-31-2015, 8:19 PM
Incredible work, I love the dog one on the wine glass, how do you overcome the variation in the surface level on wine glasses, or do you use a rotary device for those?

Junior hall
08-31-2015, 9:08 PM
Holly cow this is why i am wanting to learn how to do photos... As i think every one has seen all of the other things but not many have seen photos as this is why i am wanting to learn how to do the photos.... I think they are more memorable than most any other thing and also sentimental

Keith Winter
08-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Wow Bill! Once again you throughly impress me with what you can do with glass.

Bill Cunningham
08-31-2015, 11:54 PM
Incredible work, I love the dog one on the wine glass, how do you overcome the variation in the surface level on wine glasses, or do you use a rotary device for those?
Thanks eveyone. And Jack I don't own a rotator. Once you know your machine and it's limitations you learn how far to focus into the curve, and how much of that curve is etchable before you go out of focus. On my machine, it's about 3/16" into TDC and a maximum of 60% of the diameter. But as I've said in the past, 95% of the job is tweaking the photo just right, and I use the general glass setting in photograv (the old one) to process the file after sizing it to the job.

Jack Clague
09-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Thanks Bill, keep it up they look awesome, will certainly be giving this a try if i end up getting my laser.

Keith Outten
09-01-2015, 1:50 AM
Bill,

Its a shame that you don't own a rotary attachment for your laser. Just think of what you could do with a rotary based on what you can do without one.
Thanks for the pics.

Ron Gosnell
09-01-2015, 2:28 AM
I still say it's the dish soap and not the oatmeal :)

Gozzie

Mike Null
09-01-2015, 7:21 AM
Bill

Good to see you back on the forum.

You are the Master!

Roy Sanders
09-01-2015, 7:25 AM
I wish i lived close enough to beg to watch. this is my attempt that we discussed on the Wine Bottle thread. I am learning to tweak the photo. I don't have photograv. I did find the Gold Method to convert the photo. its the learning how to take it the rest of the way to account for circumference and curve. If you ever decide to get into the youtube learning I wish you would post a tutorial on tweaking and set up.

Your work is truly amazing. I am not wishing to get that good. I do want to do quality work. This is my passion

Samuel Espy
09-01-2015, 9:48 AM
Glad to see you back Bill. Very nice work as always from you.

Bernie Fraser
09-01-2015, 2:45 PM
Bill, your work is incredible, well done.

Bill Cunningham
09-14-2015, 9:30 PM
Thanks again folks. And Ken I don't have a rotator because when I started this I couldn't afford one so I learned to work around it, and now I don't really need one. I can etch 60-70% of a glass cylinder without problems, and 60% of a beermug is a little over 2" wide and when measured over the curve its even wider. I have a photo on a beer mug posted here someplace. I can't repost it using my tablet though. If I had bought a rotator, I'd have found a use for it, but in reality, I probably would have really needed it 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. Not worth shelling out 2+Gs.

Dee Gallo
09-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Superior work as ever, Bill. Experience shows and you have the Master's touch!