PDA

View Full Version : Black and cherry. What kind of material should I use?

Tony Zona
08-30-2015, 8:53 PM
I'm thinking of making a project with cherry and black wood frame. Maybe an armoire.

What kind of dye and what kind of wood would you suggest?

Also, what top coat finish would you use?

Thanks.

Steve Wilde
08-30-2015, 10:16 PM
I spray deft lacquer on all my cherry projects. The lacquer brings out the color and keeps it from oxidizing and turning dark so quickly!

Kent A Bathurst
08-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Ebonized white oak.

Tony Leonard
08-31-2015, 3:31 PM
320583320584I've had good luck with Lockwood ebony dye (water base) and polar or maple. Depends on the look you want. Consider the grain (open or closed). I made bead moldings for a small table recently. I wanted a nice smooth surface, so I used poplar. I sanded real smooth, raised the grain, then dyed. I used a wipe on poly for the finish. Enough grain that it still looks like wood but no an open grain look. Might want to darken the cherry too. Raw cherry would be a big contrast to the black (maybe that's what you want?!). Anyway, point is, experiment. I got the Lockwood from Lee Valley. My table was made from mahogany dyed to a nice reddish brown. Nice look with the black (to me anyway!). I also dyed the "feet" of the table legs. I can't find a pic of the finsihed table, darnit.

Good luck with your project.

Tony

Kent A Bathurst
08-31-2015, 3:49 PM
Ebonized white oak.

Steel wool + white vinegar soup, plus quebracho bark tea.

Black as black can be. Not the only way, but I liked the "mad scientist-alchemist" bit

a la......

John TenEyck
09-01-2015, 1:39 AM
India ink works really well, too. Topcoat with finish of choice.

John

Kent A Bathurst
09-01-2015, 2:23 AM
India ink works really well, too. Topcoat with finish of choice.

John

Bah. Humbug. :p :p

Cary Falk
09-01-2015, 5:08 AM
I use maple with Transfast black dye followed by an Ebony gel stain.