PDA

View Full Version : Hip Displaysia and Cancer in Dogs

Clarence Martin
08-30-2015, 10:59 AM
Is it bad breeding, genetics, or a combination of things ?

Sean Troy
08-30-2015, 2:45 PM
Is it bad breeding, genetics, or a combination of things ?
I had a Golden Ret. that was from Champ bloodline that ended up with cancer and Hip Displaysia. He was put down at 10 years old.

Erik Loza
08-30-2015, 3:07 PM
My personal opinion? Combination of all factors you mentioned.

Ex-purebred German Shep owner, for the record.

Erik

Brian Henderson
08-30-2015, 3:25 PM
I have a nearly 16-year old Dalmatian who has been having increasing hip problems for about a year. Over the weekend, her hips gave out entirely, she can no longer walk and on Monday, we're taking her in to be put down. It just comes with the territory with some breeds.

Erik Loza
08-30-2015, 3:28 PM
When that time came for our Shep, I clearly remember one of the vet techs telling me that with labs, "it was always cancer", just like it it's always the hips with shepherds.

Erik

Jerome Stanek
08-30-2015, 3:50 PM
large dogs have a shorter life span Bermese mountain dogs have a life span of about 8 years. Pyrenees have about 12 years witch is long for a large dog. My daughter has a Pyrenees and a Newfoundland so she is familiar with each breed as she loves large dogs. Her first Pyrenees had leg cancer at 6 years and died about 6 months after her leg amp.

Robert Engel
08-30-2015, 4:06 PM
Mult-factorial disease.
Genetic/obesity/inactivity/nutrition.
I've seen 12 year old Shepherds with perfect hips and I've seen 6 mo old labs with such severe dysplasia their hips are dislocated.

Genetics plays a big part, but also I think a lot of these breeds are pushed with high protein food at an early age which causes their body to grow too fast for their bones to keep up. In Shepherds, Labs, etc. I recommend switching to adult dog food at 7-8 months of age.

Spaying and neutering have a downside and that is a dog that is fatter and lazier (not all, but most) which is adding negative factors to their hips, especially if there is even a mild degree of dysplasia present it will progress to arthritis earlier.

Joint diseases have a viscious cycle. As the dog becomes more and more painful their activity decreases and they gain even more weight.

As far as cancer, its similar to humans. Dogs are living longer now, so more cancer is being detected. Also, people view pets differently than they did a generation ago, and they are willing to take advantage (translation: pay) for the newer diagnostics (CT scans, sonograms, etc.). Many pets are entering chemotherapy programs with veterinary oncologists, but that's another discussion for another time.....