PDA

View Full Version : Flammables storage cabinet plans?

Martin Lutz
08-23-2005, 5:06 PM
Am I dreamin' or was there some discussion of some plans for building a storage cabinet for flammable finish recently? I searched and did not find.

Phil Winn
08-23-2005, 5:44 PM
fire-resistant cabinets...
Phil

Ellis W either wrote it, or.... (I think...)

Grant Stevens
08-23-2005, 6:45 PM
I found this online when I searched previously:

http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/200009/shopsolutions/main.html

I didn't make it, though, so no comment on the quality of the plans.

George Summers
08-23-2005, 9:14 PM
A small explosion proof, fire retarding cabinet will cost $500 and up. I'll say upfront that there are those who will disagree with what I use but I'll tell you what it is and what my thought processes are. I have an old upright freezer that I took the motor and compressor out of. It was headed to the dump anyway. First, I have a 25W lightbulb I put in the bottom and this keeps all my finishes from freezing in the winter (I don't keep the heat turned on in the shop when I'm not there). Second, it is not explosion proof but it is much more fire retardant (and to some extent - explosion proof) than a wooden cabinet. I think that if I exercise reasonable common sense that I am as safe as anyone and safer than those that just have their finishes (paint, varnishes, oils, mineral spirits, mixed shellac, etc) sitting on a shelf. I keep the lids tight and being an old freezer, the door is not perfectly tight and the seals where I took out the motor and compressor leak air so there is a certain amount of air flow so there is no dangerous build up of fumes inside the box. It has worked well for me for the last 4-5 years and the cost was nothing plus a few pennies/month in the winter for the light bulb.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albur91&id=100_0293&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

George

Bill Lewis
08-24-2005, 7:04 AM
A small explosion proof, fire retarding cabinet will cost $500 and up.

$500, Make that a very small cabinet. I just got one for work, an Eagle cabinet, about 24wide x33 high, single door. I think it was about $700 +. Don't know for sure because I had one of our technicians order it. These things are EXPENSIVE, but required, if I want to keep some cans of spray paint, or WD-40 around the work area. :(

Martin Lutz
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the great input. The links are really helpful. I want to be as safe as I can in my shop without breaking my wallet. I like both ideas and was thinking for fire retardent on the plywood cabinet why not add 5/8" fire ret. sheetrock? Thanks for your help.

lou sansone
08-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Good post and topic.
I have a real flamable cabinet in my shop that I was able to get surplus for about $100. It was brand new and all stainless steel; probably cost about 1200 new. If you look around you can find them pretty easy. Part of the fun of building out your shop is to find those good deals.

lou

Steve Aiken
08-24-2005, 1:01 PM
I have a real flamable cabinet in my shop

Run Lou, run, before the whole place catches fire:D

Smart-alec Steve

Steve Clardy
08-24-2005, 8:07 PM
I did the refrigator bit for several years before I got a finishing room setup to put everything in.
Did the same as George, removed the compressor and guts, hooked the light up for heat in the winter, used a appliance bulb. 25 watt or something small like that.
I also kept all my welding rod in there to keep it dry.

lou sansone
08-24-2005, 8:36 PM
Run Lou, run, before the whole place catches fire:D

Smart-alec Steve

very good:D gee words really do have meaning don't they.. I guess I should have been more precise. "I have a flamable material storage locker in my shop to store flamable materials so they don't catch fire and I have to run out of my shop with what little hair I have left on my little pumpkin head on fire "! ;)

lou

Brent Smith
08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
I don't remember where I saw it, either on one of the forums or in a very recent magazine, but, there was a response by a former fire marshall to using a refrigerator as a storage cabinet for flammable liquids.

He listed a number of VERY good reasons why it's not a good idea.

I'll look for it tomorrow and post the info.

Brent

Just found it. The latest issue of FWW in the Q&A.

George Summers
08-25-2005, 7:12 AM
For those of us that don't read FWW, could you give us the gist of the article?

George

Brent Smith
08-25-2005, 7:24 AM
Sorry about that, it was late when I posted.

1) a refrigerator doesn't have a lip to preventspilled solvents from dripping out and finding a source of ignition.

2) a refrigerator door does not have a positive latching device nor is it always self closing ,either of which would ensure that the door would stay closed during a fire.

3) the insulation material inside many refrigerators is a polyurethane foam,which is highly flammable under most conditions. Once heated the foam can become liquid and run out of it's confines, fueling the fire.

4) there could be a temptation to plug in the old unit to make the light operate when the door opens.The switch could ignite any flammable vapor, causing an explosion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would think that most of these points could be dealt with, but, it's good to know where the problem areas are the easy way instead of the hard way.

Brent

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-25-2005, 7:48 AM
I suppose this is short-sighted...but if the purpose is to protect finish materials in the event of a fire, wouldn't that be a comparatively minor consideration?

George Summers
08-25-2005, 8:02 AM
In response to the fire marshal's comments, I would say that my first consideration was to be able to keep the finishes, etc, from freezing in the winter without taking everything in the house or leaving the heat on full time. The freezer accomplishes this. As far as safety from fire goes, true it is not a metal fire proof cabinet, but in my opinion it is safer than just having the finishes (flammable and otherwise) sitting on an open shelf or in a wood base cabinet. If any other fire in the shop occurs then there is a certain amount of barrier between an outside fire and the contents of the freezer. I think that for the small home hobby shop it compares to the arguement about PVC vs metal DC duct work. True, with large volume, PVC might have a static charge and MIGHT ignite a fire in the duct work but home hobby shops are not prone to large volume and eight hour continious duty.

I like my freezer idea.

George

Martin Lutz
08-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I know that part of the reason for having a designated storage cabinet is for the safety of the firefighters. They need to be able to readily identify where flammable, possibly explosive, liquids are being stored. Have you painted your refridgerator yellow or put identifying decals on it? I am pretty sure you can buy the decal online.

Brent Smith
08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't disagree with either of you. I just posted that for information purposes.

Brent

George Summers
08-25-2005, 11:51 AM
I know that part of the reason for having a designated storage cabinet is for the safety of the firefighters. They need to be able to readily identify where flammable, possibly explosive, liquids are being stored. Have you painted your refridgerator yellow or put identifying decals on it? I am pretty sure you can buy the decal online.

No I haven't, but it is a good idea. I will do that. Thanks

George