PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had bad experience with HF nail guns?

Harry Thornton
08-23-2005, 4:41 PM
Horbor Frieght has a little brad air gun on sale for $19.99 down from $49.99. I don't use them much but I don't want to fight with a tool that does not work properly either. They also have a couple of compressors for $89 (from 139.99) and one $99 compressor with 8 gal/ 2.5 HP that I have seen recommended here a couple of times.

Are these tools suitable for the infrequent hobbiest and occasional handy man?

Don Baer
08-23-2005, 4:47 PM
My son has that Nail gun and we have both used it. I'd say that we put 2 or three boxes of nails through it and haven't had any problems.

Vaughn McMillan
08-23-2005, 4:59 PM
My own experience may differ from others here, but I've had two HF compressors that stopped working within a few days of getting them home. Personally, I'd avoid their compressors. That said, I've been tempted by their little $20 brad gun, just haven't really had the need for one.

So far, the best HF tool I've bought is a dead-blow hammer. It's handy for "adjusting" the other HF tools I've bought. ;)

- Vaughn

Richard Wolf
08-23-2005, 5:06 PM
So far, the best HF tool I've bought is a dead-blow hammer. It's handy for "adjusting" the other HF tools I've bought. ;)

- Vaughn

Good one Vaughn, LOL.

Richard

Jim Dannels
08-23-2005, 5:07 PM
About 15 yrs ago, my FIL who was physically unable to do the work of finishing his home. Bought one for me to do his finishing in the whole house.
It has since done the finish work on his home, and a couple others.
My father has finished two campers he remodeled and it has done a couple bathrooms besides. Not to mention untold projects in the shop.
I have yet to work to get a tight miter, and had it split out the moulding so I had to start over( I had before getting one).
If mine shot craps I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Jim O'Dell
08-23-2005, 5:31 PM
I bought one about 2 years ago, and it has never missed a lick. I use the PC brad nails in it, they work great. I got a combo 1/4" stapler/brad nailer about 8 months ago when I started my shop rehab, and it is not as good. At times it only shoots a staple every other try. Seems like it shot the brads ok, though, the one time I used it for that. And I am using a CH tankless compressor on it...doesn't take much air to work it! Jim.

Harry Thornton
08-23-2005, 5:33 PM
That's a killer, Vaughn. Nothing like experience to make you love/hate something. If my time was worth real $$$$$ I would not take a chance. One day lost with a helper on the payroll and you have blown the savings and maybe screwed up the next job....just is not worth the risk. I don't have to worry about that kind of thing.

James Mudler
08-23-2005, 5:33 PM
I have had one since 1995 and it is still working, I think I paid $16 for it. I would not buy their compressors.

Harry Thornton
08-23-2005, 8:57 PM
I have had one since 1995 and it is still working, I think I paid $16 for it. I would not buy their compressors.

Why, James? Are their compressors dangerous or just unreliable? Would appreciate more support for your position. Thanks.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2005, 9:54 PM
I have one and have had good luck. It shoots short brads than my PC which is why I bought it and what I mostly use it for.

I also have a HF compressor, the two tank one that is regularly on sale for $90. I keep it in the garage for household stuff and have had good luck so far. I've had it about 6 months. It is actually an oil filled unit which is probably easier to build right than oil-free.

markgoodall
08-24-2005, 3:21 AM
I got their 18G brad nailer. Marked down to something silly like $12. They had hundreds of them in boxes and I had to open up a few before I found one that looked good enough to buy. Haven't used it yet, but if you get one, don't just grab the first one you see.

Happy Woodworking!

Bob Yedinak
08-28-2005, 12:31 PM
I bought the HF 18 ga. brad nailer about ayear ago, and have had very good luck with it--much better than the Crapsman elec. brad nailer I was using that wouldn't seat the nails (still had to hammer them in). Recently I bought a HF stapler on sale also for $20.00 (same as i paid for the brad nailer last year). The stapler also works fine for me. I am now waiting for a sale on their 23 ga. pinner.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
08-28-2005, 1:06 PM
I have the 18 ga brad nailer for HF. It has done just fine for over a year now. I use PC brads. Seats the brads fine and no jams.

James I have had two HF compressors and have had very good luck with them. I had a older 10 gal. I think that I gave to my son after using it for 6 yrs. and bought one of their 8 gal. units. I have had it for about a year now with no problems. Both of those I had from HF are the oil type. I had a craftsman oilless and it last about 4 yrs.

Bernie