PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 41 push drill help

mark kosse
08-29-2015, 4:02 PM
Howdy, can anyone tell me how to get a stuck end cap off? Thanks

Bill Houghton
08-29-2015, 4:32 PM
Are you taking the end cap off to refurbish it? You are aware that's now how you get to the bits, yes?

Jim Koepke
08-29-2015, 4:37 PM
This is where pictures are a great help.

So I went out to the shop and took a couple pictures of my #41 type push drills:

The one at the top has a spring lock holding the end cap. There is a hole in the top cap to allow bits to drop in and out of individual chambers.

The knurled nut at the bottom of the housing holds the top casing in place. The nut does not need to be removed completely. It is done here for clarity.

The threading on this leaves a lot to be desired. It is human nature to push this up by the nut and then tighten. This will strip the threads as fast as over tightening.

jtk

mark kosse
08-29-2015, 4:45 PM
Jim, that did the trick. I was about one quarter of a turn from it releasing. 8 bits inside and I'm off to try it out. It's been in a drawer for years along with a 131. I need to get some bits for it too. Thanks!

Joe Tilson
08-31-2015, 9:12 AM
I'm assuming these are take offs of the Goodell Pratt push drills and they would come off the same way.
What about the Millers Falls 100 series?

lowell holmes
08-31-2015, 9:19 AM
Back (several years) when I acquired my push drill, I also found "new old stock bits". As a result, I have a push drill equal to the ones telephone repairman used to have.

I mention this only to suggest you might look around and find some.

Jim Koepke
08-31-2015, 11:47 AM
What about the Millers Falls 100 series?

According to Old Tool Heaven, they are like the top one in my pictures.

No. 100

Automatic Drill

Opaque red tenite handle, handle trimmed with polished aluminum; other metallic components are nickel plated; sliding catch frees rotating indexed cap that releases one drill point at a time; split two-jaw chuck; shipped with eight fluted-shank drill points.

This is one of the so-called 'Buck Rogers' tools.

http://oldtoolheaven.com/driversdrills/push-drills.htm

jtk