PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Plain Willow: Useful?

Steve H Graham
08-29-2015, 12:21 PM
I am near Miami. I saw a couple of tree limbs in a trash heap today. I thought they were mahogany, but it turns out they're something else. I believe it's Coastal Plain Willow.

Is this stuff worth salvaging?

Richard Wolgemuth
08-30-2015, 8:03 PM
As a general rule I never pass on free wood. If it's crap, I have a guy who heats his house with it and is always happy to take anything I am not using. Can't hurt to grab a piece throw it on the lathe and find out.

Richard Wolgemuth
08-30-2015, 8:08 PM
Here is perhaps a more informed opinion:
"Although soft and too weak for structural framing, the wood resists splitting. At one time it was a top choice for artificial limbs. Pioneers turned willow wood into charcoal, which they ground fine and used as a component in gunpowder. The long, flexible branches are used for making willow chairs and tables." - http://www.dickbrewer.org/wildlife_profiles/plants/CPWillow.pdf
Do you need any artificial limbs? :)

Thomas Canfield
08-30-2015, 8:55 PM
I have picked up some willow limbs that were 6" and more in diameter and made small bowls. Definitely not the best wood being soft, but does have a little grain visible for interest. I would not look at anything smaller that 4" for sure.

Steve H Graham
08-30-2015, 9:52 PM
I do not need artificial limbs. The ones I have are nothing to write home about, but I am not ready to replace them.

Steve H Graham
09-03-2015, 5:05 PM
Today I saw a fresh mahogany log which appeared to be around four feet long and eight or nine inches thick.