PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for book on chairbuilding

Jim Fleetwood
08-23-2005, 3:28 PM
Looking for a few recommendations for a book or material, internet or otherwise, on chairbuilding. I would like recommendations on anything other than Jeff Miller's Chairbuilding and Design bacause it is out of print and used copies are apparently selling for $149.00 a copy. I checked Amazon and talk about sticker shock!!

Mark Singer
08-23-2005, 3:36 PM
Jim,

Tage Frids "Furniture Making" has a dining chair in it. The chair is not great from a design standpoint...the method of construction is excellent. It is a good place to start on general chair making.. Prototypes are very essential to the design process.

Mike Vermeil
08-23-2005, 4:42 PM
Jim,

Brian Boggs in Berea, KY is perhaps now the most famous chair maker in this country behind Sam Maloof. You may recognize his name from the spokeshave he designed for Lie Nielsen. His work is exquisite, and his charis are without a doubt the most confortable wooden chairs I have ever sat in. On top of that, he's a super nice guy - I've met him on a couple occasions - and he teaches classes all over the country. You may want to look into one.

His website is: http://www.brianboggschairs.com/

On his website, he lists the book "Make a Chair from a Tree", by John D. Alexander, Taunton Press, as a recomended read. In many articles Brian credits this book with getting him started in chair making. It's unfortunately out of print also, so finding one may be difficult.

Good luck.

Richard Wolf
08-23-2005, 4:51 PM
Jim, I have alot of books on chairbuilding, all of them are style oriented. If you could mention what you are interested, maybe I could help.

Richard

Bob Stegemann
08-23-2005, 9:38 PM
Jeff Millers book may be unavailable for sale but I managed to get one through my local library. They had to request it from another area but at least I had the opportunity to read it. Good book.

I agree Brian Boggs is good; he has a few videos available.

Hank Knight
08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Jim, take a look at The Chairmaker's Workshop by Drew Langsner. Very detail and helpful. Amazon has it.

I tried posting a link to the Amazon page, but I can't get the link to work. Just select "books" on the Amazon site and type in the title.

Jim Fleetwood
08-25-2005, 5:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just checked out Jeff Miller's book from the library. Hadn't even thought of the library:rolleyes: I also just bought a used copy of The Chairmaker's Workshop by Drew Langsner. All the reviews raved about it so it can't be all bad. I think this will cover my reading requirements for the next couple of months.

Jim

James Owen
02-21-2007, 1:44 PM
Looking for a few recommendations for a book or material, internet or otherwise, on chairbuilding. I would like recommendations on anything other than Jeff Miller's Chairbuilding and Design bacause it is out of print and used copies are apparently selling for $149.00 a copy. I checked Amazon and talk about sticker shock!!

Another good book on chairmaking is Ron Clarkson's Making Classic Chairs: A Craftsman's Chippendale Reference. Even though it is oriented toward making a Chippendale style side chair, it has much in the way of construction technique that easily translates to other styles. It's around $25 from Cambium Books http://www.cambiumbooks.com/books/chair_making/ (toward the bottom of the web page).

Brian Penning
02-21-2007, 2:21 PM
I have the FWW chair building book and found it useful. Note that Amazon has Jeff miller's book and the FWW book combo for $29+ so I dunno where you're getting that $149 from...
http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Building-Chairs-Best-Woodworking/dp/1561588571/sr=8-2/qid=1172085549/ref=sr_1_2/002-7657120-9362441?ie=UTF8&s=books

Brian Penning
02-22-2007, 7:30 AM
Duh!! I hate not noticing the original post was many moons ago...

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-22-2007, 8:32 AM
Duh!! I hate not noticing the original post was many moons ago...

On the up side I may make use of the recomendations.