PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Good WW Book?

Steve Aiken
08-23-2005, 3:18 PM
I've been involved in woodworking in a serious way for about 5 years now. I read all of the WW magazines. I've read quite a few books on specific topics like How2use Table Saw/Router, etc, joinery books, etc. Several from the Taunton press such as Set Up Workshop/ Toolbox, etc.

I'm interested in the wisdom of the old classics and whatever you think is a "must-read."

Steve

Bob Noles
08-23-2005, 3:33 PM
Steve,

I believe before pointing you in a direction, we would need to know more about the area of interest you seek? What kind of projects will you be building?

Mark Singer
08-23-2005, 3:33 PM
Steve,

Any of the Krenov and Tage Frid books are classics. David Charlesworth also a couple of very good ones.

Dan Forman
08-23-2005, 4:28 PM
"The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" by James Krenov is a wonderful book, more a "why to" than "how to" orientation.

Though perhaps not a classic,I also enjoyed "Jim Tolpin's Woodworking Wit and Wisdom".

Dan

Richard Wolf
08-23-2005, 4:40 PM
"The Soul Of A Tree" George Nakashima. Now in paperback. About $30.00.

Richard

Jim Becker
08-23-2005, 5:04 PM
"The Soul Of A Tree" George Nakashima. Now in paperback. About $30.00.

Absolutely on my list of suggested readings. Add to that Thos Moser's books, including his latest and the titles that Mark mentioned.

lou sansone
08-23-2005, 7:18 PM
it depends on what period or style of furniture you are interested in. for me it happens to be 18th century american so the must read is " queen ann furniture" by Vandal. I probably have a couple hundred books on ww and this is on the top of the list.

lou

Alan Turner
08-23-2005, 8:35 PM
My go to guy is by Earnest Joyce, Encyclopedia of Woodworking. A wonderful reference book, but dense to read cover to cover.

Michael Gabbay
08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Another vote for Tage Frid. I also like Tolpin's book on cabinet making and Jeff Jewitt's book on finishing. Finally, Ian Kirby's book on dovetails is a great book.

Mike

Steve Aiken
08-23-2005, 10:25 PM
My interests lie in fairly simple furniture projects of no particular period like a computer desk for daughter, bathroom vanity, chest of drawers. Picture frames and jewelry boxes.

I also bought an old lathe recently and need a good How2 book in this area.

Mostly I think I'm starting to lean toward the "Why" rather than the "How" with lots of pithy nuggets about the journey of WW.

Are there any out-of-print golden-oldies that I should be searching for?

Thanks for the suggestions as I build my reading list.

Steve

Brent Smith
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I just picked up this book, "Making & Mastering Wood Planes" by David Finck ( the revised edition). I don't really have ant interest in making a wooden plane, but, it looked interesting. After getting it home and going through it, I realised what a great buy it was. It's full of basic woodworking knowledge and techniques. But more than that it points out little tricks, reasons why, and really puts into perspective the relationship between tools and finished product.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to even the most seasoned woodworker.

Brent

Steve Wargo
08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
My all time favorite is Soul of a Tree. But a very close second is The Furniture Masterworks of John and Thomas Seymour. Also like the Krenov books, and the Maloof Books. For great bathroom reading Wood as an Engineering Material (the big one by the Forest Industries). Man, I've learned a lot from that book. Also Like the Whelan book - The Wooden Plane it's History Form and Function.

Charlie Plesums
08-23-2005, 11:41 PM
If you know how to use your tools, but want to be sure you have all the right components, braces, doors, hinges, feet, etc., my favorite is Andy Rae's Furniture and Cabinet Construction in the Taunton "Complete Illustrated Guide" series.

You can often get 3 or more books from that series in "package deals" that save a lot of money.

Bill Neely
08-24-2005, 1:39 AM
Cabinetmaking and Millwork by John Feirer