PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Wood

Edward Weingarden
08-28-2015, 4:47 PM
I have a few small pieces of wood which I was going to use for bottle stoppers. I have no idea where I got them. I'm trying to identify the type of wood. It's a soft wood and is grey all the way through. The sanding dust turns my fingers grey. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pat Scott
08-29-2015, 10:31 AM
We have no idea either without pictures.

Reed Gray
08-29-2015, 11:22 AM
A picture would help a lot. The only grey colored wood that comes to mine is buckeye burl. It is popular for bottle stoppers.

robo hippy

Bob Cumming
08-29-2015, 1:19 PM
It's called Mystery Wood examples of which in myriad shapes and sizes are usually found under cabinets or in cardboard boxes of miscellaneous dust-covered scrap that doesn't photograph very well, regardless of lighting conditions. It often has a unique musky odor that suggests potential irritation to nasal passages or those with allergies, but it is easily worked into a variety of useful gizmos and takes a fine finish quite easily. It often causes dogs to sneeze vociferously at length. Origin of the species is unknown but is widely believed to stop growing once harvested. Cost varies but usually is free in small quantities from experienced crafts persons/artists whose knowledge of its characteristics are extraordinary as is the wide variety of objects made from it. Little or no experience is necessary to use Mystery Wood, but often is very helpful. Mystery Wood is not considered dangerous to children or the elderly in most cases, and is not believed to pose a specific threat to domestic animals or wildlife. The EPA has not as yet issued any health warnings relative to it, and it is unknown if any manner of risk to soil or water is posed by it regardless of area or volume. As far as is known, it is not caustic nor has any information to that effect been released or published by any recognized health organization except in California where it likely would be found to cause cancer in laboratory animals or pregnant persons.

Tony Cognato
08-29-2015, 1:52 PM
:):)[QU

I'll take a dozen!

OTE=Bob Cumming;2460726]It's called Mystery Wood examples of which in myriad shapes and sizes are usually found under cabinets or in cardboard boxes of miscellaneous dust-covered scrap that doesn't photograph very well, regardless of lighting conditions. It often has a unique musky odor that suggests potential irritation to nasal passages or those with allergies, but it is easily worked into a variety of useful gizmos and takes a fine finish quite easily. It often causes dogs to sneeze vociferously at length. Origin of the species is unknown but is widely believed to stop growing once harvested. Cost varies but usually is free in small quantities from experienced crafts persons/artists whose knowledge of its characteristics are extraordinary as is the wide variety of objects made from it. Little or no experience is necessary to use Mystery Wood, but often is very helpful. Mystery Wood is not considered dangerous to children or the elderly in most cases, and is not believed to pose a specific threat to domestic animals or wildlife. The EPA has not as yet issued any health warnings relative to it, and it is unknown if any manner of risk to soil or water is posed by it regardless of area or volume. As far as is known, it is not caustic nor has any information to that effect been released or published by any recognized health organization except in California where it likely would be found to cause cancer in laboratory animals or pregnant persons.[/QUOTE]

Edward Weingarden
08-29-2015, 9:59 PM
If I get a chance, and figure out how to post photos, maybe it can be identified. Until then, it will remain a mystery wood. However, according to Bob Cumming, it sounds like it's highly sought after and valuable. Thanks.