PDA

View Full Version : I'm In The Cone Of Uncertainty

Julie Moriarty
08-28-2015, 9:42 AM
This is not to be confused with the Cone Of Silence. Maxwell Smart is not in the equation. No, this is 2015 and the Cone of Uncertainty now is about a woman named Erika and upon whom she focuses her wrath.

It looks like Erika is zeroed in on Florida but it's only :rolleyes: a tropical storm. So Mother Nature is being kind to me in this christening and we may only see TS winds. But it will be interesting to see how the neighbors and townspeople react. The governor has already declared a state of emergency but he may later be criticized for that if Erika is pushed out to sea.

I'll take some videos. :D

Joe Tilson
08-28-2015, 9:57 AM
We are also keeping an eye on the cone. It can zero in on several equations of cosmic proportions. Just where the eye sees fit to go is in more powerful hands than us mere mortals can control. We really don't need the rain right now, but not to much flooding can occur on top of the hill we are on, but that's not to say it can't. Government officials seem to run scared these days, political correctness and all that cosmic crap or should I say crud.:eek:

James Gunning
08-28-2015, 2:43 PM
Welcome to Florida, Julie. You have just discovered natures hidden tax on all those sunny days and good weather. The exact outcome of it is always hard to predict. In 2004 everyone knew hurricane Charlie was going further west and would not be as strong. Surprise. Cat 3 and right through the middle of the state. The good news is, if it stays a tropical storm, the winds will be close to what we can see with some of the stronger thunderstorms we get all summer. IOW our roofs/pool cages/etc. will survive with little or no damage.

Julie Moriarty
08-28-2015, 3:47 PM
We have a contract on a house that has a 33-yr old pool cage and we're hoping the storm will make it go away. ;) Inspectors are scheduled for this Monday morning, about the time the center of the storm is predicted to be closest to us. It will be fun seeing how a roof inspection is done in 60 MPH winds. :rolleyes: But really, this will be our baptism to sunny FL. When I think about shoveling two feet of snow or watching for tornadoes, I'm good with the trade. And the Early Bird Specials! Woo Hoo!

Jim Koepke
08-28-2015, 3:58 PM
The governor has already declared a state of emergency but he may later be criticized for that if Erika is pushed out to sea.

People will soon forget actions taken toward caution. The arrogance of not taking cautionary action will be remembered forever.

jtk

Larry Edgerton
08-28-2015, 4:33 PM
The power line company my neighbor works for has them on standby so don't worry Julie, some good hard working Yankees are standing at the ready!:)

Larry

Kent A Bathurst
08-28-2015, 5:31 PM
Whatever happened to Maxwell Smart's Cone of Silence?

Chris Padilla
08-28-2015, 5:48 PM
What? What? I can't hear you, Kent!

I had an ex named Erika...............

Malcolm Schweizer
08-28-2015, 6:08 PM
It passed the VI with little fanfare, but my friends in Dominica were not so lucky. It dumped 12 inches of rain causing flooding and 7 people lost their lives from landslides. Cane Bay Airfield was all but destroyed. The island of Dominica is very tall and I think literally knocked the wind out of Erika. She took a sudden dog-leg and went well south of us. I was geared up and battened down but locally we got very little.

Kent A Bathurst
08-28-2015, 6:30 PM
what? What? I can't hear you, kent!

CHIEF!!! THE ..... ROCKIES ........ SUCK!!!!

:p

Dick Latshaw
08-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Welcome to Florida, Julie. You will want to become familiar with http://www.spaghettimodels.com/.

Most of the time, it beats digging cars out of drifts. Sometimes, not so much.

Julie Moriarty
08-29-2015, 9:18 AM
Latest on Erika is it could fizzle out completely but is still capable of dumping a lot of rain in certain places. Tampa was mentioned as one of those places. Of course Charley was supposed to make landfall in Tampa and at the last minute turned toward Punta Gorda and buzzsawed the city. The owner of the place we're staying died in the storm. One of his tenants refused to evacuate so he stayed. She survived.

Bruce Page
08-29-2015, 1:03 PM
Latest on Erika is it could fizzle out completely but is still capable of dumping a lot of rain in certain places. Tampa was mentioned as one of those places. Of course Charley was supposed to make landfall in Tampa and at the last minute turned toward Punta Gorda and buzzsawed the city. The owner of the place we're staying died in the storm. One of his tenants refused to evacuate so he stayed. She survived.

Wow! What a shame.