PDA

View Full Version : Fresh cherry

Sean Hughto
08-27-2015, 8:39 AM
I got to talking with a co-worker and she tells me that her boyfriend is into woodworking and next that he just got a couple logs. I asked her what he was going to do with them and whether he had a lathe. Turns out he had no lathe but was interested in turning, so I invited to bring a log over and in exchange for a couple chunks, I'd give him a lesson and send him home with the bowl he made. He did well for a beginner and made a decent bowl he can enjoy. It's always fun to introduce someone new to the process from log to bowl.

The next day I took one of my chunks and made it into this:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5738/20685102676_17bb35e67c_c.jpg

It's about 9" in diameter. I'm always a sucker for the sap and heartwood contrast and patterns. At a uniform quarter inch, I let it dry in some paper bags for a few days and then the rest of the way out in the open. After a week or so it was pretty well completely dry and stopped moving. I love the oval and rim waves that happen with green and the different behaviors of sap and heart. Has a great unique wabi sabi quality.

Thanks!

David C. Roseman
08-27-2015, 9:59 AM
Very nice, Sean.

Sean Hughto
08-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks, David. I realize this bowl is pretty ordinary to the eyes of accomplished turners (in my experience, folks who haven't seen much turning are impressed! :p). I was just tickled by the fun of introducing someone new to the vortex.

Reed Gray
08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
I prefer plain and simple. Love how the sap wood has a little extra dip in it from warping.

robo hippy

Brian Tymchak
08-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks, David. I realize this bowl is pretty ordinary to the eyes of accomplished turners (in my experience, folks who haven't seen much turning are impressed! :p). I was just tickled by the fun of introducing someone new to the vortex.

I'm no accomplished turner, but don't sell yourself short on this piece. I love how you oriented the turning to end up with the sapwood sandwich. Very distinctive!

John Keeton
08-27-2015, 3:53 PM
I'm no accomplished turner, but don't sell yourself short on this piece. I love how you oriented the turning to end up with the sapwood sandwich. Very distinctive!Brian, this was a bowl turned by Sean's friend. Trust me, Sean is no beginner!! He used to post a lot of his bowls and does some very nice work.

Sean Hughto
08-27-2015, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the endorsement, John ... uh, I think. <hearty chuckle>

The picture of is a bowl I made from his "payment" (blank from his cherry log) for the lesson. It had been a while since I turned green to finish. Forgot how much I like it.

I didn't get a picture of my friend's maiden effort. It was good for a first try, but not my taste in curve, proportion, or wall thickness for its size. But again, more than good for a first try while learning cuts and technique that was all new.

Sean Hughto
08-27-2015, 4:24 PM
My typical efforts are a bit more refined, but still simple, I guess:
https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6114/6316460723_d2e4d5ac97_b.jpg

Prashun Patel
08-27-2015, 4:30 PM
Sean,
What gouge do you use to turn your bowls and rims?

John Keeton
08-27-2015, 4:38 PM
My apologies to Brian!! I simply misread the post.

But, it is good to see some of your bowls again, Sean.

Sean Hughto
08-27-2015, 6:19 PM
Sean,
What gouge do you use to turn your bowls and rims?

Ellsworth grind with a wolverine on an 8 inch wheel.