PDA

View Full Version : Just curious . . . .

lowell holmes
08-27-2015, 7:39 AM
Do any of you that have the Odd Job Tool use it?

I've had one for years, but it is never used.

I have too many layout tools to even remember it. If I were doing projects for people out of the shop, I might.

The only projects I do is for family, so I just don't gravitate to it.

Nicholas Lawrence
08-27-2015, 8:21 AM
I have one of the Garrett Wade versions I received as a gift a few years ago. I don't use it much because I have a quality combination square with tighter tolerances that I prefer. If I were doing something rougher I would not hesitate to use it, and I sometimes grab it when I just need a level. "Odd Job" is a good name for it.

lowell holmes
08-27-2015, 9:57 AM
I have one of the Garrett Wade versionst.
Mine is a Garrett Wade version as well. My combination square is a Starrett. Maybe that's why I don't use the Odd Job.:)

Mike Brady
08-27-2015, 10:08 AM
It seems to me that Garrett Wade practically built their business on that silly Odd Job tool, and I still don't get it. Do Stanley collectors even acknowledge that it ever existed? Somewhere along the line there was a guy who marketed a Lexan attachment that somehow was supposed to transform the Odd Job into a thing of real utility. Funny thing is, I have never encountered a real Odd Job at a tool meet of flea market. Either they are extremely rare, or perhaps they are not even flea market worthy?

Jim Koepke
08-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Mine sees regular use for pencil marking boards to be rip cut.

For most of the things an Odd Jobs can do, other tools can do it better. It likely never was a real popular tool.

1935 is the last year they were made by Stanley. A Google search led me to a couple of videos. Apparently Woodcraft and Garret Wade both currently sell an Odd Jobs tool.

jtk

mike holden
08-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Nope, sits on a shelf as a decoration in my shop. Sort of like a cheap stanley #1 bench plane.

Tony Zaffuto
08-27-2015, 3:22 PM
Have several and they make nice display pieces, but don't see them useful for anything that requires a precise measurement.

Richard Line
08-27-2015, 3:44 PM
Boy am I glad this thread came up. I've been thinking there must be something I was missing about the Odd Job and that maybe I should get one to find out why they are so 'great'. Now I won't waste my time and money.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2015, 4:20 PM
Boy am I glad this thread came up. I've been thinking there must be something I was missing about the Odd Job and that maybe I should get one to find out why they are so 'great'. Now I won't waste my time and money.

If one has and uses a combination square, they have and are using an equivalent of an Odd Jobs. I have combination squares, but seldom use them. Maybe my being a bit of an Odd Ball makes the Odd Jobs right for me.

don't see them useful for anything that requires a precise measurement.

My woodworking improved greatly when I gave up trying to work to "precise measurements." Precision is for machinists. I haven't had anyone complain about a wooden project being out a thousandth of an inch or two.

jtk

george wilson
08-27-2015, 6:59 PM
If I had Odd Job,who could sling his steel brim hat accurately,he might be more useful!:)

Mike Wilkins
08-27-2015, 7:13 PM
Incra has their custom tool of the moment on sale now, which uses the same odd job shape, but at nearly $400 for the set.
Don't think I need one that bad.

Brian Holcombe
08-27-2015, 7:17 PM
He karate chops like a boss too.

Karl Andersson
08-28-2015, 7:30 AM
I had one and used it for rough carpentry minor adjustments and small measurements, especially when up a ladder or on a ridge beam and it was in my cargo pocket. It never was that great to use - I think I used it because it was supposed to be useful...kind of like those Fathers' Day combo tool gifts that had such great advertising, my loving kids were compelled to buy them to make my life easier. Like the gigantic tape measure/leaser/bubble level/center finder (with accessory leveling stand) that took 4 AA batteries and stopped working after 2 weeks.

Maybe it was the first combo tool Fathers' Day gift and it lasted long enough for word to get out that, yes, it could do all that was advertised, but none of it easily or well.

George, Brian, his days are numbered - James never tolerates those who hurt pretty girls. You'd be better off with a female pilot whose name can't be mentioned here.

Tony Zaffuto
08-28-2015, 7:34 AM
How about those tool handles, made by MF, Goodel-Pratt and a few others? I have a few of those: hollow handle with a number of attachments the slip in, such as an awl, screwdriver, some had a short saw blade, nail puller, etc. Another Father's Day present that pretty much was as useful as an Odd Job.

Dave Lehnert
08-28-2015, 10:35 PM
I have one I got on clearance at Harbor Freight. Can't tell you where it is.

William Adams
05-02-2016, 9:09 AM
Kind of annoyed w/ myself that I missed the Woodpecker One-Time-Tool version.

It's becoming one of those obsessions for me --- guess I'll need to either buy or make one. I was wondering how it would work if it were widened a bit so as to accommodate a wider rule...

One thing I'm curious about is how well they work w/ a four-fold rule --- apparently that was a frequently done thing? I guess you have to use a brass-bound rule, so that the knurled cap screw doesn't damage the edges of the rule?

Jim Koepke
05-02-2016, 12:54 PM
One thing I'm curious about is how well they work w/ a four-fold rule --- apparently that was a frequently done thing? I guess you have to use a brass-bound rule, so that the knurled cap screw doesn't damage the edges of the rule?

I used an old yardstick cut down to fit in mine.

jtk