PDA

View Full Version : Grandson is at it again

steven c newman
08-26-2015, 7:52 PM
And dropped off three braces ( now have 11 !!!)
320294:D
Ah...yeah. Took a bit to clean them up...for polite company, of course..:rolleyes:
All have their springs in the chucks. Will need to make a replacement handle for the one.
Those nails in the one knob will just have to go...
Pulled the four:eek:nails, and a strip of packing tape out. Little oil, wire wheel to clean things up. Found a couple small screws, and some goos wood in the knob.

Only the black brace has a name anywhere on it. Millers Falls Co, is stamped on the chuck. That is not "patina" on the black parts..looks more like it was blued when new. The others are plated. Store's price for these "treasures"? $7-$8 each.....not too bad....

steven c newman
08-26-2015, 8:05 PM
Ok, have a couple questions here

When did Millers Falls have a brace with the metal parts blued?
Yes, it is a Millers Falls brace. Says so right on the chuck...but nowhere else. Stained hardwood for the handles. 10" sweep.

Haven't found a name of any sort on the other two. Also 10" sweeps. Jaws do have a wire spring still on them. Although they are painted red or black, details on the knobs are the same. two rings on either knob. Ratchet parts are just a little different between them. "Red" being a bit boxier in profile.

May go ahead and make a replacement handle for the missing one. Might take a day or two...

Chris Hachet
08-27-2015, 8:45 AM
I may need to make another trip North to see you!

steven c newman
08-27-2015, 9:37 AM
Labor Day weekend is West Liberty's Tractor Fest....over a mile of vendors to walk through....one guy usually has three tents full of old tools...

Since I'm RETIRED.....about any day of the week is fine, just let me know when.....Wed. and Sat. is Logan Auction days...usually.

Chris Hachet
08-27-2015, 9:56 AM
Labor Day weekend is West Liberty's Tractor Fest....over a mile of vendors to walk through....one guy usually has three tents full of old tools...

Since I'm RETIRED.....about any day of the week is fine, just let me know when.....Wed. and Sat. is Logan Auction days...usually.

Labor day weekend I am in North Carolina sadly....and congrats on retirement!

Bill Houghton
08-27-2015, 3:57 PM
Just 11? Your grandson needs to show a little more vigor, there. Once you get past one brace, you should have at least 15.

Stew Denton
08-27-2015, 7:52 PM
Bill,

Now you have me in a real bind, I have three braces, but there is no way I have room for 12 more.

Beyond that, I have planes to restore with irons that need sharpening, one of my braces to clean up so it can be used more easily, chisels to sharpen and a few to restore and make handles for, saws to restore and sharpen, projects to do, and a few tools to build......I don't have time to restore a dozen more braces.......

At any rate, if I need 12 more braces then I am in even more of a bind!

Stew

steven c newman
08-27-2015, 8:55 PM
Found a bit of the model number for the Millers falls one.....turns out to be a 1662.

The other two? Made in japan....knock-offs of a stanley brace.....Have one just like them....with a white door knob.

Intend to trim the herd back by half. Keeping the millers Falls and the PS & W ones. Oh, and a Stanley 945 10 in will also stick around.....till the next batch shows up..

Bill Houghton
08-28-2015, 9:09 PM
Bill,

Now you have me in a real bind, I have three braces, but there is no way I have room for 12 more.

Beyond that, I have planes to restore with irons that need sharpening, one of my braces to clean up so it can be used more easily, chisels to sharpen and a few to restore and make handles for, saws to restore and sharpen, projects to do, and a few tools to build......I don't have time to restore a dozen more braces.......

At any rate, if I need 12 more braces then I am in even more of a bind!

Stew
Teasing...just teasing...

steven c newman
09-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Be happy to know.....I now have four out of the eleven braces up on that auction site. Along with a set of chisels, and a few "extra" planes. Just got to thin the herds a bit....have two other planes on their way in this week. Rehab Center will be open again.