PDA

View Full Version : Omega WBS-14 Bandsaw

Ian Funk
08-25-2015, 7:25 PM
Does anybody know anything about an Omega WBS-14 bandsaw. I searched all over the web yet found very little on the seemingly nonexistent machine. Any knowledge would be very helpful. I stumbled across one in fair shape on craigslist for $50. Thanks :D

Myk Rian
08-25-2015, 7:30 PM
Baileigh and Jet also have that model number. Could they be the same?

Ian Funk
08-25-2015, 7:43 PM
Possibly, I just stumbled across that, I found an find an article that says it was an early version made by Baileigh. Yet the information on this hunk of steel is still pretty slim.

Erik Loza
08-25-2015, 11:25 PM
When I was at the AWFS show last month, you would not believe the number of Chinese vendors there, looking to OEM out their machines to whoever would buy them. We actually had a number of those reps coming into our booth, asking if we were interested in buying from them. I saw basically the same bandsaw in at least half a dozen different booths. "Brands" pop up, then disappear from sight for lack of marketing presence, a US dealer who wants to handle them, etc.

Erik

Ian Funk
08-26-2015, 2:52 PM
I bought the Omega band saw for $20, what did I have to lose? possibly going to restore it. Its actually much more solid than I anticipated with the majority of the parts being cast iron and aluminum. Let me know what you guys think, and if its worth putting any time or money into.

daryl moses
08-26-2015, 4:43 PM
If the motor runs, the wheels go round and round and the blade stays on I don't think you could go wrong for 20 bucks. Might not be the most precise or smoothest running machine in your shop but might be great for "rough cutting". Then again it might turn out to be a diamond in the rough.
I would certainly of gambled a 20 dollar bill on it.
BTW, looks a lot like a Harbour Freight bandsaw or one of the many clones.
I think you did good!

Ian Funk
08-26-2015, 4:59 PM
Like you said definitely not the smoothest or best band saw out there. Yet it runs decent and was easily cutting some radiuses in 4/4 birch. Ill clean it up and see how much use I can really get out of it. No point in me spending $400 on a band saw if I don't know how much I will use it.

Jim Wheeler
08-26-2015, 10:10 PM
At twenty bucks for a running bandsaw that actually cuts wood I don't see how you can go wrong. The switch alone is probably worth that much.

Jim

He who welds steel with flaming pine cones may accomplish anything!

Dave Cav
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
If it runs and cuts wood I think you did ok for $20. I had what was probably the identical saw I purchased about 30 years ago. These saws are essentially a clone of the Delta 14" bandsaw; you should be able to get parts from Harbor Freight or Grizzly should you need them. On mine the upper wheel bracket (the tension/tilt assembly) was pot metal and it eventually fell apart from corrosion.