PDA

View Full Version : Epilog laser losing power. How do I identify the problem?

Luke Gautreau
08-25-2015, 6:10 PM
So I've been using an Epilog Radius 25w laser engraver for the last 5 years or so. And about a year or so ago, I've noticed that the power has steadily been declining. Jobs that I used to run at SPEED-100, POWER-70 now have to be ran at SPEED-60, POWER-80 with multiple passes to look decent. My first reaction was to replace the lens as it was nasty. I've done that and I have seen next to no increase in performance.

How do I go about trying to identify and solve the problem in my loss of performance?

Rich Harman
08-25-2015, 6:39 PM
Are your mirrors clean? Have you checked alignment? Are you focused correctly?

Keith Winter
08-25-2015, 7:47 PM
So I've been using an Epilog Radius 25w laser engraver for the last 5 years or so. And about a year or so ago, I've noticed that the power has steadily been declining. Jobs that I used to run at SPEED-100, POWER-70 now have to be ran at SPEED-60, POWER-80 with multiple passes to look decent. My first reaction was to replace the lens as it was nasty. I've done that and I have seen next to no increase in performance.

How do I go about trying to identify and solve the problem in my loss of performance?

If the lens was nasty then definitely check all the mirrors they are probably dirty too, then alignment.

If you are regularly using the laser you should be checking your lens every day, and your side mirror once a month. Backmost mirrors less often but a quick check every now and then doesn't hurt. ;)

Gary Hair
08-25-2015, 10:32 PM
If the lens was nasty then definitely check all the mirrors they are probably dirty too, then alignment.

If you are regularly using the laser you should be checking your lens every day, and your side mirror once a month. Backmost mirrors less often but a quick check every now and then doesn't hurt. ;)

Yep, yep and another yep.

Chris J Anderson
08-26-2015, 9:09 AM
clean lenses and mirrors last AGES - dirty ones get stained very quickly as the dirt is heated up by the laser beam on the surface of the lens / mirror.

you should also be maintaining other parts of your machine regularly, contact Epilog for a basic maintenance requirement for your particular machine.

Scott Shepherd
08-26-2015, 10:21 AM
An Epilog Radius for the last 5 years? There's the highest probability of the issue. That's a very old machine. The fact you've used it for the last 5 years is a sign to me. That puts the tube at least 5 years old and they typically don't last much longer than that in a normal environment. You'll see posts from people saying they have a 10 year old laser with the original tube, but that's the exception, not the rule. My guess is that your tube is on the way out.

Mike Schnorr
08-26-2015, 2:20 PM
I'm with Scott on this one. My first tube lasted 7 years but I was only running it part-time for the first 5 years. If it is a gradual loss, that would be my first guess as to the problem. I replaced this one in '07 and it only cost about $1500.00 to make the machine run like new again. These days I only run it about once a month so it should last a long, long time...