PDA

View Full Version : The Bathroom is Almost Done!

Michael Gabbay
08-23-2005, 8:56 AM
Well after 9 months of work on our masterbath (one hour hear one hour there schedule) I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I sure hope it's not a train! :eek:

I started with a complete tear down to the studs and joists. A soffit over the original sink was removed and the electric was rewired to add 2 recessed lights and 2 sconce lights. The exhaust fan was replaced and vent rerun to meet new code requirements. The walls needed interior insulation and the joists needed to be sistered to reinforce the tub area. Also the joists were not level so I ended up pouring leveling compound after the subfloor went back in to get things as level as possible.

The floor has 3/4" T&G subfloor with 3/8" ply on top of that and 1/2" backer on top of that. This brings everything back up to the original height so I did not need to redo the toilet flange and threshold.

We are using octagon with white squares fo rthe floor and 3x6 subway tile for the shower walls and tub walls/fronts. I'm making a panel for the tub front to match the vanity doors and drawers. The vanity doors and drawers will be flat panels inset to the frame. The vanity top and tub deck will be white carrera marble. The marble should be cut this week and installed sometime next week.

So all that is left is to install the tub, toilet, sink shower glass walls and finish the tile once the marble is in place. I'm hoping to be finished by October. :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking,
Mike

Jim Dunn
08-23-2005, 9:02 AM
Looking good. Now, back away from the computer, I hear your wife comming.

Alden Miller
08-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Remember earlier this year that we bet on who'd finish their project first? I am about ready to put the finish on the last cabinet in the set of built-ins I am building. Looking at what you have remaining I think I am going to win!

Oh yeah, your cabinet looks good.

-Alden

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Nice work Michael! Stay the course!

Michael Gabbay
08-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Alden - Better lock your shop before the gremlins attack! :D

Thanks for everyone's nice comments.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Looking good! I started in January of 04 on a bathroom remodel and finished just in time for the 4th of july weekend! Didn't got down to the wall studs but had to go down to the floor rafters! We all got tired of it. Didn't have the equipment at the time to build the new cabinets so those were boughten. Yours look excellent! Keep up the good work, a bathroom is one of the toughest jobs to do.

Corey

Chris Padilla
08-23-2005, 1:56 PM
9 months? Sigh, it took me 9 months to finish the 1/2 bath in my house! :) However, mine was a 100% gut but only involved some 12x12 stone tile on the floor...only 30 of 'em, too! :) Nice job and you move quick compared to moi! :D

Larry Norton
08-23-2005, 9:48 PM
Sorry it's taken so long! Some of us have to work for a living!

I LOVE the vanity!!! Looks like another one I'm very familiar with, only mine's cherry. I really don't like painted stuff :D :D

Michael Gabbay
08-23-2005, 9:58 PM
Hey Larry - I "borrowed" your vanity design. I guess it inspired me! :D

Mike

John Renzetti
08-24-2005, 8:14 AM
Nice job. You're getting there.
take care,
John

Alden Miller
08-24-2005, 8:29 AM
Larry, you ought to recognize it. No drawers! Did you ever finish yours?

-Alden