PDA

View Full Version : New and different turning (pix)

Keith Burns
08-23-2005, 8:40 AM
This is my first attempt at a "hanging" vessel. It is segmented Bubinga and contains 80 pieces plus the supports. Supports are aluminum rod. It is 5-3/4" diameter x 10" overall height. The turning is not fastened to the support as pressure was enough to hold it. Any negative comments you may have are taken as constructive. Thanks for looking.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/berniewood/26.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
08-23-2005, 8:43 AM
Keith, that is wonderful looking! I really like the aluminum supports!!

The only thing that catches my eye is that everything in the peice is round and flowing except for the top supports that suport the rim of the vessel, they are sharp and pointed.

All in all, if I saw this in a shop, it would be one I would examine closely! I LOVE IT!! Overall great work (I may be totally off in my above comments :))

Sam Blasco
08-23-2005, 9:03 AM
Simple, elegant, yet complex. Visually alluring. Nice work! It would have been interesting if you could have maintained the segmented look with the base, as well. Just a thought.

Bruce Page
08-23-2005, 9:33 AM
Keith, I really like the hanging vessel and the three supports. The only thing that jumps out at me is the base, it is rather plain looking. I think the base would be more pleasing if it were also radially segmented like the vessel.

JMHO

Charlie Plesums
08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Overall a beautiful, outstanding piece.

I agree with the comments about the base being too "plain."

I like the contrast provided by the holders (pointy rather than rounded), but they give the impression that they are sagging. When you start making these in volume, consider putting the rod in the upper holder at an angle - same entry point but closer to the inner arc rather than parallel to the outside edge - I think it might give the holder an "uplifting" feeling.

Despite the nit-pick suggestions, a wonderful piece

Charles Hans
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Keith that is an outstanding piece, I love it! I agree that a segmented base would add more interest, it is a little plane compared to the rest of the piece. I wonder also how the alumunum supports would look if they were bowed to mimic the shape of the vessel?
Great work!

Jerry Clark
08-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Keith, I like the vessel and the form-- I think the base is a little to small and the top is way to large-- my 2 cents! :rolleyes: I do believe that you did a great job and it is a very different piece than other turned vessels.:D

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-23-2005, 12:03 PM
WOW! Very nice piece.

You make me want to blow three years of dust off my lathe and play a little. Thank You!

Michael Stafford
08-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Keith, I have to say this is a most impressive piece of art, not just woodworking but fine art. I like the segmented work very much. My only comment would be that the aluminum rods are such a stark contrast that they distract from the beauty of the piece. If they were brown or black or some other color, maybe brass or copper they would blend in more. IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, the piece is a wonderful piece and one to be proud of. I commend you on your skills and fine work. Really quite excellent! :D

Ernie Nyvall
08-23-2005, 4:05 PM
It's beautiful Keith. Such a turning is beyond me. I'll add though that I would like to see it with a thicker, contoured, segmented base, but not any bigger around. Brass rods might work too, but I kinda like the aluminum because they pull my eyes to the hanger as a separate, but integral part of the whole. I wouldn't care for black rods. But you know, Picasso wouldn't listen to me, and I guess he did okay. :rolleyes:

It's a wonderful piece.

Ernie

John Hart
08-23-2005, 6:42 PM
Spectacular Keith!!! I especially like how the undercurls of the supports follow the overall curvature of the vessel. It gives a nice flow to the overall piece. I could stare at it for hours. Wonderful craftsmanship!!:)

Greg Tatum
08-23-2005, 6:53 PM
No negative comments here....I can barely turn a pen...I love the piece. It would look great with with black or maybe patinized copper rods as well.

regards,
Greg

Keith Burns
08-25-2005, 8:11 AM
Thanks to all for your honest comments. I have to agree with the comments on the base. I have a different design in mind now, just have to find the time to do it. I will post it when I get it done. Thanks again.