PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Wynn Environmental filter kits

Bob Coates
08-24-2015, 8:53 PM
Hello,
I have just purchased a HF dust collector and want to up grade with Wynn Environmental filter kit, but don't know if the nano version 35a274nano or is the 35a100osbol ok.

Thanks
Bob

Chris Parks
08-24-2015, 9:44 PM
My advice is to ring Wynn and ask them, they always have time to help anyone making an inquiry.

Doug Ladendorf
08-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Call them up then drive over to pick it up. They are NW of Philly.

Jeffrey J Smith
08-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Hello,
I have just purchased a HF dust collector and want to up grade with Wynn Environmental filter kit, but don't know if the nano version 35a274nano or is the 35a100osbol ok.

Thanks
Bob

The best advice is to call them, I've found them to be straight shooters.
I've been using the same setup - HF 2hp DC with the Wynn nano filter. It works great and maintains good performance with only irregular cleanings. I put s cyclone separator lid on a 35 gallon garbage can in line with it. I do think the nano may be overkill for woodworking - they're one step down from clean rooms and operating room filters. That said, I've been using mine for about 18 months with good results. Would I get similar results with one of their standard filters - that I don't know.

Thom Sturgill
08-25-2015, 9:21 AM
This thread probably belongs under machinery, but we use dust collection too - if only for sanding...
I bought a Wynn filter years ago for my HF collector. When the DC bit the dust I replaced it with a Shop Fox unit and installed the Wynn filter. I later added an Oneida Air Systems Super Dust Deputy to the mix and piped it in place. Great system for the money. I collect dust from the lathe and sweepings from the floor as well as catching dust from the table and band saws.

Bob Coates
08-25-2015, 10:51 AM
Sorry I got the wrong topic, however since I was most concerned with using on lathe for sanding dumbness put it here.

Thanks for all replies, I will call then but leaning toward nano even it it is overkill like Jeffery has.

Jeffery, do you have any issues cleaning the filter?

Thanks to all

Bob

Jon Nuckles
08-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Dust collection threads usually get moved to the workshops forum and you could find a lot of opinions with a search there, but a call to Wynn is the right move. I had fast clogging of my nano filter when using a garbage can separator and they are a pain to clean. I put a super dust deputy in my system and am amazed at how well it works. Well worth the cost and effort IMHO. The smaller particles are the worst for your lungs, so the nano is a smart choice. Good luck!

Thom Sturgill
08-25-2015, 4:32 PM
It has been several years since I bought mine, so I went to look at the current offerings. I would DEFINITELY go with the NANO (MERV15) over the MERV11 with that little difference in price. The larger filter area will make up for the denser material to allow good air flow.

Jeramie Johnson
08-25-2015, 9:19 PM
I would agree on sq. ft. coverage. I would compare 35A274NANO Cartridge Kit to the 35A274BLOL Cartridge Kit. Both are the 274 sq ft
Video of someone that caused me to go the HF and separator route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32a_esE5NCs

Jeffrey J Smith
08-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Jeffery, do you have any issues cleaning the filter?

none - I use a blow gun at a relatively low pressure and run it up and down the pleats. What's there drops into the bottom plastic bag. As a matter of fact, with the cyclone separator inline, it's pretty much the only thing that's in the bag. I've only replaced it once - when it was going into storage to await the new shop that's under construction - I thought it would be nice to have a new bag when I set up shop again.
In reality, I have only cleaned it a few times since setting it up. It seems to get better with a slight dusting on the surface. The airflow stays consistent; I've cleaned it on the average of once every 6 weeks or so for the entire time I've had it.
One of the best things I've put in the shop since I splurged on the AB.

David Delo
08-26-2015, 3:23 PM
Another vote for the nano filter on the HF DC. Had mine connected to a trash can separator when I first set it up and that worked fine. Upgraded to a plastic SDD and like it even more. Mine is dedicated to the lathe and 1 band saw because that end of the shop is the only place I can park it. Here's a pic:

I have another set-up at the other end of the shop that has all the big chip producers. Not in the picture but this set-up is connected to a 2hp Grizzly that I'd have to say I like even a little better than the HF set-up. Little more hp with a larger diameter impeller so there is a noticeable difference in suction. One of these days I'll get around to putting in another 220 circuit where the lathe is located so I can switch the DC locations.