PDA

View Full Version : Circular Saws

Tony Falotico
08-23-2005, 7:30 AM
Looking for thoughts on circular saws -- I currently have the DeWalt 364, 7 1/4" blade, weighing in at a hefty 12.3 lbs. It's a great saw, but I find myself shying away from it because of the size and weight. Just can't handle the size and weight like I used to. Some options I've been considering:

Porter Cable has the Mag saws, 7 1/4" weighing in at 9-10 lbs
Porter Cable 4" Trim Saw, worm drive, lightweight at 7 lbs, but they make up for it on the price tag. Also, it seems large for it's lightweight.
Sears 4 3/8" trim saw. lightweight, fair price. Spoke to someone who has one, very happy with saw but says blades (4 3/8") are hard to find. Gotta get 'em at Sears.
Cordless ?? You all will have to convince me on those.

Seems the Trim Saws do not have a common blade size, everyone's is different. Also, they are hard to find, I see 'em on the Internet but nobody has them locally where I can pick 'em up and feel them. I kind of like the idea of the smaller blade trim saw to use in tight spots. Then there is the cordless, seem very lightweight until you add the battery. Not sure I'm real keen on cordless, but it is an option I would consider.

Would appreciate thoughts, comments, experiences. THANKS, Tony :)

Steve Ash
08-23-2005, 7:53 AM
Tony,
I started out 16 years ago with a Milwaukee 7 1/4 circular saw that I liked real well (I am a building contractor and use my saws a lot) it was a bit heavy though. About 6 years ago I replaced it with another Milwaukee (I'd had good luck with the first one) it didn't make it through the summer, burned it right up real quick. So then I thought I'd try a Makita, which is what I currently am using...it is lightweight enough and seems to be holding up real well with the abuse I put it through. Would I buy another if this one quit today?...absolutely!
Cordless saws....I have one that came as a combo in a cordless drill package. I bought it for the drill (which has held up remarkably well with the punishment I have given it) but I wasn't real sure just how much I would use the saw. Now I can tell you a few years later that the saw was worth it to me since I use it for a lot of smaller things when I don't have the circular saw out at the time. I wouldn't trade my circular saw for a cordless by any means but it has it's place at times.

Maurice Ungaro
08-23-2005, 7:58 AM
Tony,
I bought one of the Porter Cable 743k saws. Got a great deal on it, as the model was getting changed for this year ($89 vs. $129). I like the balance and feel of it - don't know what it weighs in at, but it's lighter than my old B&D. I got the one with the blade on the left, as it just makes more sense to me, I mean, the blade on a table saw isn't on the right side of the fence, is it?

Jim Becker
08-23-2005, 8:55 AM
The $64,000 question is...what do you want to use the saw for? It's hard for folks to give a good recommendation without knowing that!

Corey Hallagan
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Tony, seems to me you are looking for something that is fairly light and small yet will get the work done. Not sure what your use is but for primarily sheet goods I would recommend the PC 4 1/2 trim saw. It is however not suitable for 2 X material or anything much thicker than 3/4 inch. I have it and I really like it. It is not cheap as you say. Carbide blades are easy to find for it as HD sells the Razor for it. The HSS blade is an option to but not as easy to find. It is as small in my opinion as it's weight, it isn't large at all which is what led me to it after seeing Norm using one on past shows.

Another saw that I saw at Sears was their 5 or 5 1/2 inch corded trim saw. Looked like a nice little saw to me you might want to check it out. I don't see it in their catalog though.

Corey

Von Bickley
08-23-2005, 3:13 PM
Tony,
I really like my Makita. You may want to check one out and see how it feels to you. :rolleyes:

Neal Flatley
08-23-2005, 3:46 PM
Hi Tony

I have a Dewalt 18 volt cordless and it is very limited in what it can do. It's OK for what it is, but I would never have a cordless as my main saw. Maybe the 24 volt versions work better.

Porter cable makes a nice 6 inch saw, right and left hand versions you might check out.

Neal

David Wilson
08-23-2005, 3:56 PM
Tony
You might look into a PC Saw Boss. Uses a 6" blade. I've had one for about 2 years and havn't had any problens. Light weight and very easy to handle.

Tony Falotico
08-23-2005, 5:44 PM
The $64,000 question is...what do you want to use the saw for? It's hard for folks to give a good recommendation without knowing that!

I don't Know !! :D :D

No, Seriously mostly for reducing 4x8 sheet goods to manageable sizes, making those quick cuts when I don't want to struggle at the TS, On site cuts when the TS is not available. Needs to be compatible with the EZ system (don't think that is a problem), that's the one I got. I have the heavy DeWalt for 2x work, this one will be for sheet goods and trim work.

Jim Becker
08-23-2005, 5:50 PM
Tony, for the EZ system, Dino recommends a right blade saw...there are plenty of choices. I don't think you can go real small, however...but check with him on that to be sure. The saws he recommends will probably work "best" with the system. Since I use that "other guided system", I don't know what would be best for your situation.

Harry Goodwin
08-23-2005, 6:22 PM
Tony I agree with David that the saw boss is a nice lightweight saw but not puny. It handles contractor size work and 2X4's. I own the PC trim saw and love it but it's not answer to a contractor's prayer because it is more specialized and we who own it love the thing. I have an 18 volt PC that is great if you were standing on a flag pole for one good cut but not an all day experience. Also great for small jobs with no electric. I have a left side PC and a rt Hitachi and both are great heavy saws. Harry

Elliott Cameron
08-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Greetings.
Elliott here from Trenton. I am also a PROUD owner of the 364 although weight is not an issue yet I am a 37 yo pup.
Seeing as you want to primarily size sheet goods....going down in this class does not seem logical as you know from experience, the 364 has no equal in this class of saw. So logic dictates that you have to go UP to upgrade. Right?
That being said, the Festool ATF55E is your only logical option. This saw is designed solely to cut sheet goods as good as a TS. It weighs 10-1/2 lbs and has built in dust collection and also has a plunge action as an option. McFeeley's has a sale going on at the moment.

I hope you take the "PLUNGE" with this saw....
Elliott

Dale Rodabaugh
08-24-2005, 5:27 AM
I see you have lots of recomendations here.I just bought the PC Mag,about a month ago,with blade on left.I had an old B&D before.What a difference..I really like the new PC,has a good feel and does an excellent job.My advice is go to a good dealer who has several brands of saws,and is knowledgable of his products.I looked at several saws at Hartville Tool,narrowed my choice down to the PC and a Milwaukee.Then flipped a coin and came home with the PC.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Joseph N. Myers
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I have 3 PC's, both the right and left circular saw and the 6" saw boss and they all work fine. When I need to cut down on the dust, I connect PS's "vacuum hose" ($23 from Tool Crib) to the unit which gets probably 80% of the dust. Others on the forum have attached a piece of plexiglass to the outer part of the saw which makes the dust collection more effective.

Regards, Joe

Bill Fields
08-24-2005, 1:52 PM
My least used SC is a big/heavy Skil magnesium frame left blade framing saw--14# heavy, w/ 25 foot cord.

My most used is a mid-weight Skil right blade. Seldom used, but mighty handy, is a little 5" (or so) 18v cordless from HF.

I am about to break down 3 sheets of 3/4 ply and MDF, and I will try to use the big Skil, but I predict I will drop back to the mid-sized Skil before it's over.

My "guided system" consists of a 10' length of steel stud clamped at both ends.

An EZ Guide is in my future.

BILL FIELDS

Steve Clardy
08-24-2005, 7:58 PM
I have the PC framers saw with brake. It;s light compared to other saws.
Also have the PC trim saw. I use freud blades on it, around 26.00 If I remember.
The trim saw won't cut through dimension lumber.
Don't know how it would fit on the eureka saw base, I'll have to look at my base to see if it would fit. The trim saw will handle plywood very well as a stand alone saw. A little slower cutting than a 7 1/4 saw.

Steve Clardy
08-24-2005, 8:18 PM
Looking at the two saws, the base will fit the trim saw.

Brian Jarnell
08-25-2005, 5:41 AM
I use a Skil saw,bought a piece of aluminium bar,cut to size that suits desired width of cut,just bent end over in vice,handy guide.

Bill Fields
08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Re: CSRepeat: EZGuide beats steel stud--

Just broke down 3 sheets of ply. The big Skil's weight turned out to be a positive. Cut smooth with power to spare.

I really is a framing saw--if I could only have one CS, this would not be it.

BIll Fields