PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1220VS or wait?

Jim Laumann
08-24-2015, 5:32 PM
Sorry group - another what's it worth post.....

I've found a ad for what appears to be a 1220VS in the employee classified ads at work (I know
its not a 1221).

I say appears, as I have not seen it in person yet (conflicting schedules), and the seller has
not yet responded to my request for a picture of the plate with the model number, etc.

The lady's asking price is $525 (it was her fathers - now deceased), which includes a Crown 8
pc chisel set.

Based on the searching I've done of the archives, this machine is 4-6 years old. One post
in the archives indicated a original purchase price of $360 +/-.

Is $350 a reasonable number to offer her w/ the chisels? $300 w/o the chisels?

My alternative is to wait until later this year (will be selling some vacation time), and buy
new (likely a 1221VS) at that time.

Advantage to the 1220 is no sales tax and no shipping. Advantage to new is a warranty,
and availability of accessories like a bed extension and stand, bigger motor, reverse and other
goodies.

Other options? Rikon?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Thks

Jim

Roger Chandler
08-24-2015, 6:31 PM
Personally, my opinion is that deal is a bit steep for the age and original price of the items you mentioned. I would not take it, and would rather have the 1221 vs. The condition of the crown tools is important.......how much tool steel has been ground away, and are they premium tools, or second tier?

I would get pics from them and then try to find those items online if possible and see what they sell for new. Now if the deal includes a scroll chuck or two, then you have a fairly reasonable offer........but you mention nothing about that, so.....

Bill Blasic
08-26-2015, 7:32 AM
The lathe you are looking at still is being sold. On Amazon the price is $719 + $135 shipping + Tax. I owned this lathe in the past and it is currently still running without problems today. Not a bad lathe at all and if you can get it for $350 I would jump on it.

Ralph Lindberg
08-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Maybe too high, we about $300 paid for a new 1220VS from Equipment Sales and Surplus in Auburn WA.

Brian Kent
08-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Yes, and, is it available for anywhere near that price today?

Jim Laumann
08-28-2015, 4:15 PM
I went and looked - it is a 1220VS. Turned it on - was on low belt setting - it runs. Looks to have
all the parts and owners manual. Held off on the purchase - talked to the guys in the turning club.

Consensus there was to wait and get the 1221vs, which is what I was leaning towards.

Thanks to those who responded.

Jim