PDA

View Full Version : Rhus Lancea AKA African Sumac is it Good For Turning

Alan Gan
08-24-2015, 3:47 PM
Hello all,

Found a CraigsList Free ad for a freshly cut down tree. I have not heard much about this type. The Trunk was about 26" across.I plan to make a couple bowls, did some searching and found some Pictures, it looks like it has a very nice grain pattern.

It was cut down due to disease, on the very largest logs the very center of the Pith is very soft and the Pith itself seems to be a pretty large area.

I believe the wood turns red when exposed to the elements. I used Anchor Seal and as it dried the color started changing from brown to red.

Any input on this Tree and Turning?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k66/photolinks/WoodWorking/DSCN2816_zpshgyk3h8f.jpg

Brian Kent
08-24-2015, 4:19 PM
That is wildly beautiful. Congratulations. When I googled African Sumac Bowl, some great photos came up. Some with deep gloss that really work well with that color, and some with turquoise in the pith-cracks.

Have fun!

Shawn Pachlhofer
08-24-2015, 4:21 PM
tree ID that use says it's similar to Rhus copallinum.

There is no description for the wood from R. lanceolata, but R. copallinum says: The reddish-brown wood is soft, light, and coarse-grained. Sometimes sold in nurseries as a landscape specimen for its fall color

I would rough out a few bowls, coat in anchorseal and set them aside to dry. see what happens.