PDA

View Full Version : tool to remove mirrors

jarrod lineberry
08-24-2015, 3:38 PM
I am trying to remove my 20mm mirrors for an upgrade. The threaded ring is very tight. I tried cutting down a putty knife so it fit across it and into the slots, but it didn't have enough strength to turn it. Is there a tool with 4 pins that stick down to fit in the slots? Should I used penetraiting oil to loosen the threads? Or should I take an old socket and dremel tool and make a tool? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Mark Sipes
08-24-2015, 3:42 PM
Jarrod is this for the "red sail x700 50watt laser"

Ron Gosnell
08-24-2015, 4:08 PM
You're on the right track but a putty knife is probably to thin.
Try to match the thickness of the slots and make it as wide as the ring itself so it wont slip side ways
and gouge the lens. When you put it back in it doesn't have to be that tight.

Gozzie

Ray Scott
08-24-2015, 4:18 PM
The hacked-up putty knife is not such a bad idea. You just need to make sure you have some thick enough metal. Make sure you hold the metal "spanner wrench" with proper force... don't slip and scratch the lens.

When you re-assemble the lens, and lens nut,... Make sure to put the lens in the correct direction .. and use a rubber o-ring or washer to release the tension from the lens. Too much stress on the lens can directly lead to a cracked lens.

The lens should be installed such that the laser enters into the curved section (convex) first. The laser then exits the flat side ... focuses into a point.

Thank You,

jarrod lineberry
08-24-2015, 4:31 PM
Jarrod is this for the "red sail x700 50watt laser"
Yes. That's the one.

jarrod lineberry
08-24-2015, 4:43 PM
Ray. It's a mirror not a lens. Should I still go back with an oring?