PDA

View Full Version : Chinese 50 watt Laser Lense Cleaning

StuartW Wilson
08-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Hi there I finally got myself a 50 watt laser for my bread boards, The lenses need cleaning what is the best solution to use? Regards Stuart

Ron Gosnell
08-24-2015, 2:32 AM
Everclear pure grain alcohol from the liquor store is what I use.

Gozzie

David Somers
08-24-2015, 2:39 AM
And its versatile too Gozzie!!! <grin>

Ron Gosnell
08-24-2015, 3:29 AM
And its versatile too Gozzie!!! <grin>

:) You said it.

Gozzie

Dave Sheldrake
08-24-2015, 4:16 AM
Depends what you are working with, if acrylic then use IPA, if it's MDF use de-ionised water etc etc....whatever the binding agent or base of the material you need a solvent from that range. IPA for example doesn't clean up MDF smoke very well..

Rich Harman
08-24-2015, 4:28 AM
I use reagent grade acetone for cleaning Zinc Selenide lenses.

Keith Colson
08-25-2015, 3:14 AM
Now I keep my machine well maintained the lens is pretty clean when I periodically check it. I just use my hot steamy breath to haze it up and the a wipe with a scratch free cloth. If the lens is dirty then I get out the chemicals and avoid wiping as it can drag any debri across the lens. I have the proper pink fluid but I only needed that once when I stuffed up cutting some spongy foam.

Cheers
Keith

Rich Harman
08-25-2015, 3:21 AM
I clean my lenses by removing the cap off the acetone, filling the cap half way, then dropping the lens into the cap. With the lens fully immersed I then use a clean cotton swab on it - as gently as possible. There have been a couple times when some aggressive scrubbing was required. I used to be worried that I would damage the lens but they seem to withstand a fair bit of abuse.