PDA

View Full Version : Two yard sales= $6...

steven c newman
08-23-2015, 7:17 PM
Went to several sales yesterday. Some where just a drive by....

One sale had a few items worth the effort to pick them up...
Between these SAE wrenches on a ring, and
320070This speeder bar

1/2" drive, by MAC Tools. I spent a whopping...$2

Drove a bit, Boss shopped a bit. Errand to run, then back on the Hunt..

Had to take a round about way, orange barrels were blocking things...
Walked into the barn sale....BARN SALE!

Lots of...Mechanic's tools, and mainly at a dollar a wrench....But, wait, there is a few non wrenches laying about, still on the $1 each trailer..
All three are Stanleys. 1" and a couple 3/4" ones....next to these was a plane looking thing...
A Stanley, Made in England, SB4....Soooo, for this sale? $4 Grand Total for the day was $6. There was two handsaws, and a plastic mitrebox there...None of the three was worth the $5 they wanted.

Took the Treasures to the Rehab Center. Chisels weren't that bad to do...
Backs are flat, new edges ground, and sharpened up. As for that Plane..
Sole was in bad need of work. Iron needed to be flattened. Iron was badly chewed up.
finally was able to get a few oak shavings....Got to checking this new plane out...something look very firmiliar..
Just like my #3 sized Windsor #33 Scrub plane.... kept working on the iron a bit more....was a hair out of square to the edge, and a camber, to boot. Ground a better edge, scary sharped to 2K grit, and tried it out again..

steven c newman
08-23-2015, 7:24 PM
So...how did this edge turn out?
Not too hateful. The bevel on that edge was a round-over thing. Middle of the bevel was hitting the wood, instead of the edge, got that flattened out. back is flat and polished. Still has a slight camber at the corners
But seems to work decently...for a $1 plane. As for them wrenches?
Got the rust off, well, I might go back and clean the ring.

The speed bar? 95% of the chrome plating is gone. Knob spins nice, ball keeper works. Wonder IF I can return it to MAC Tools?

Daniel Rode
08-23-2015, 11:18 PM
I have a set of black-handled Stanley butt chisels that look like yours. I don't use them often but they're handy for getting into tight spaces. They're stout and solid.