PDA

View Full Version : Suehiro Dual-Stone drum box set review

Matthew N. Masail
08-23-2015, 5:35 PM
---As always I write this review simply to help others when looking for info. I rely on the web to gather info when I'm looking for something so this is just a way to return a favor. Of course everything said is my opinion from my own experience, and as with everything YMMV!--

I have planned to write a review of these for quite a while, they are quite different. I'll say off the bat, IMO, these do not replace water stones, or oil stones. They are good and convenient for a portable set-up, and some might find the way they work desirable for general use, the issue is that other than 1k and 6k all the grits are only available are full size stones, and these are quite expensive.

the set I bought has a 500 grit diamond plate, a 1k stone and I added a 6k stone.

The 500grit diamond plate:

it's great. cuts better than a eze-lap coarse or fine (I use all three side by side), and so far it's holding up better too. great for removing nicks too. I love it.

the 1K:

This is a interesting stone. when freshly lapped you can clearly tell is has 1k or so particles in it, it has some cutting power. however it is very very slow, and if you rise a wire edge with it you'll find that the wire is very fine, more like what you'd get with a 3k, and the polish? more like a 5k.
I would never suggest this stone as suitable for a 1k, taking a worn edge to it is just frustrating. if I were to get a dual-stone to use as a 1k, I would have to guess at the 600, maybe even the 300, so fine do they cut for the given grit rating.
It's not hopeless though as the 1k kinda takes over OK after the diamond plate. it takes a little while but it will mostly remove the scratches from the diamond plate and you can get a good sharp edge with it. I understand why the set comes with a 1k and 500grit plate, with the 6k an optional extra.

it's a very hard stone, but feels quite nice when freshly lapped and doesn't load too quickly. I can see it being fine to use with carving tools too. the diamond plate works great to lap the stone.

the 6k:

not much to say about this one, it works best when fresh and feels nice to use, but it loads more than i'd like and then it's a little slick. it can give a very smooth sharp edge, a bit similar to an edge of a fine oil stone.

oil vs water?

there is no need to worry than you have to stick with one or the other. I have used and still use them with both. a quick lapping with remove any oil. most of the time I use water but I'd say there a little nice to use with the oil.

Conclusion:

All in all these are good stones, if you are willing to learn how use them they can be quite effective, but they do completely relay on the use of the diamond plate to raise a burr and remove nicks and damage. it's important to keep them fresh for both cutting speed and feel, but that's easy to do. the drum box stones are very small so a bit of a pain (at least for me) to use for blades wider than 2", but there is a next size up at 6X2 inches which is still affordable.

I bought them to take onto job sites, and for that they are great, because I can use oil or water and they are not messy and don't require much maintenance. I recently took all my personal stones home from work, so now I just have these and some eze-lap stones to use. they do the job, if a bit slower and a little less comfortable due to their size. I plan to make a nice box for them, I'm sure that will help a bit.