PDA

View Full Version : New workshop

Bryan Hunt
08-23-2015, 2:05 PM
I recently moved into a new house and with it came a 32 x 44 shop :D I'm in the process of getting it set up and started with some storage for sheet goods. I will probably partition the top section further, but it gets the pile out of the floor for now.

Next up: dust collection.

Bruce Page
08-23-2015, 2:36 PM
Nice! I don't know what I'd do with that much room but I'd love to find out!

Steve Kinnaird
08-23-2015, 2:58 PM
Wow!
That is a sweet amount of space for a shop.

Question.... I notice only 4 casters on your wood rack. Is that working out or would you consider 2 more at enter of each side?

Bryan Hunt
08-23-2015, 4:21 PM
The casters seem to be working ok, but I may consider adding two more. With the rack loaded with wood, it's not as easy to move as I thought. I may also consider switching to larger wheels later.

Joe Mioux
08-23-2015, 6:33 PM
I think you need to take more pictures of your new shop and share it with SMC. :)

Bryan Hunt
08-23-2015, 8:36 PM
The dust collector has been assembled and powered on. Oneida V-3000. It really sucks! :eek:

The ductwork arrives on Wednesday. I'll post more pics after I get that installed.

Kent A Bathurst
08-23-2015, 9:40 PM
The casters seem to be working ok, but I may consider adding two more. With the rack loaded with wood, it's not as easy to move as I thought. I may also consider switching to larger wheels later.

I did a lot - A LOT - of work on wheeled racks/carts for lumber, in industrial settings. I designed and had fabbed what was easily $250,000 of those critters - could have been 2x that amount, in all honesty. All kinds of sizes and strange designs for specific applications.

Lessons learned:

No one ever saved money by buying inexpensive wheels. Instead, they wasted whatever they did spend. Ball bearings - either sealed or with grease zerk fittings. On wheeled carts/rack approx 48" x 48" x 48" made from 2" OD tube steel, the cost of the wheels was just about the same number as the cost of the steel.

6" is the bare minimum for modest loading, if it will be moved regularly. I never went below 8", though. In a one-man operation, I have to recommend the 8", but wouldn't yell too loudly if you went with the 6". You don't need to have any conversations with your family doctor that include the words "back strain" or "hernia". I am absolutely serious on this point - do not get hurt.

Swivels at the four corners. A pair of fixed in the center of the bottom rails. Shim under those fixed wheels with 3/16" - 1/4" whatever.

Yes - it may tilt or rock just a bit, but not enough to be a problem. But - this gives you a nice leverage point for rotating and moving the cart. And- from either end, you can push for a front-fixed / rear-swivel action, like a forklift. It will turn in its own radius.

Lecture/rant over. ;)

Looking forward to the rest of the build-out. Having fun, ain't we? :D

Bryan Hunt
08-26-2015, 3:24 PM
UPS just stopped by with my work for the next weekend or two. "Some assembly required!"

Bryan Hunt
08-26-2015, 7:03 PM
Went out to the shop for a bit and put together the first piece of 7" snaplock pipe. This stuff is challenging to work with. I definitely need to restock the fridge with beer. I'm going to need it when I'm done :D

John Donofrio
08-27-2015, 9:28 AM
This is going to be an awesome shop. Super jealous over the space and looking forward to the progress.

That snaplock is a real pain at first but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

Bryan Hunt
08-29-2015, 11:10 PM
Yep, after I got the first snaplock together, I did get the hang of it and the others were much easier. The addition of a strap clamp seriously helped. After I got the seam together, I rolled the pipe so the seam was on the side and pushed down all along the pipe to ensure a good lock.

I managed to get 7 of the 7" straights together and sealed with silicon. I installed the main run up to the first Y and called it a day. I'll go back later and seal the joints - I wanted to make sure of the position of the first Y before making anything permanent.

Next up is figuring out how to turn the adjustable 90 into a 45. Not as easy as I first thought.

Steve Kinnaird
08-30-2015, 12:27 AM
What's with the giant white board. You gonna shown wood working YouTube Video's LOL

William C Rogers
08-30-2015, 9:13 AM
Bryan, nice shop similar to the size of mine. I used the same Jet DC system in the first posting picture for years. I finally got my cyclone system installed and it was a very big difference. You are going to be impressed. I used 20 feet of my left over 4" flex hose for a floor sweep near my lathes and table saw. I had the Rockler dust right sweep system.

Bryan Hunt
08-30-2015, 12:32 PM
What's with the giant white board. You gonna shown wood working YouTube Video's LOL

Not a bad idea. I inherited the whiteboard and I'll probably take it down and use it for, well, a whiteboard ;)

Bryan Hunt
08-31-2015, 9:32 AM
Made a little progress with the main duct run. The branch is going to run over to the back wall for sanders, router table, and floor sweep. The end of the main run will drop down for bandsaws and table saw. The closest branch coming down near the DC will handle jointer and planer.

Mark Blatter
08-31-2015, 11:39 AM
In looking at the original photos you posted, I am curious about the many 5 gal buckets of Tidy Cat litter. I only know of three uses for that much cat litter. First, as well cat litter, but that imply you either lots of cats or one very big cat. Second for cleaning up oil spills, and I suppose you do live in TX, and third, for traction on icy roads, but again yo live in Austin and I don't think you get that much ice in the winter.

I am also very interested in what is on the floor. Looks like either an epoxy sealer or vinyl tile. Did you do it or was it that way when you bought the place?

Bryan Hunt
08-31-2015, 11:58 AM
We have two cats and I have been saving the empty cat litter buckets as they are stackable and make decent storage containers. Just use a sharpie to label the contents.

The floor is epoxy and it was that way when I bought the place. It's really nice except the previous owner did not put the sand in the epoxy and while that makes for easy sweeping, the floor can get very slick. I expect I'll be adding several more rubber mats to the floor.

Bill Ryall
08-31-2015, 4:37 PM
I did a lot - A LOT - of work on wheeled racks/carts for lumber, in industrial settings. I designed and had fabbed what was easily $250,000 of those critters - could have been 2x that amount, in all honesty. All kinds of sizes and strange designs for specific applications.

Lessons learned:

No one ever saved money by buying inexpensive wheels. Instead, they wasted whatever they did spend. Ball bearings - either sealed or with grease zerk fittings. On wheeled carts/rack approx 48" x 48" x 48" made from 2" OD tube steel, the cost of the wheels was just about the same number as the cost of the steel.

6" is the bare minimum for modest loading, if it will be moved regularly. I never went below 8", though. In a one-man operation, I have to recommend the 8", but wouldn't yell too loudly if you went with the 6". You don't need to have any conversations with your family doctor that include the words "back strain" or "hernia". I am absolutely serious on this point - do not get hurt.

Swivels at the four corners. A pair of fixed in the center of the bottom rails. Shim under those fixed wheels with 3/16" - 1/4" whatever.

Yes - it may tilt or rock just a bit, but not enough to be a problem. But - this gives you a nice leverage point for rotating and moving the cart. And- from either end, you can push for a front-fixed / rear-swivel action, like a forklift. It will turn in its own radius.

Lecture/rant over. ;)

Looking forward to the rest of the build-out. Having fun, ain't we? :D

THANK YOU! That is good information. I'm combining my welding and woodworking shops (believe me, not by choice), and I am doodling some designs that will mount all 3 welding machines, grinders and tool chest all in a rolling cabinet/frame kind of thing. so I can just roll the stuff out of the way and into a corner when I am not using it. Combined, that stuff is heavy even though the welders are relatively small.

Bill Ryall
08-31-2015, 4:38 PM
We have two cats and I have been saving the empty cat litter buckets as they are stackable and make decent storage containers. Just use a sharpie to label the contents.

^^^ This. They make for great storage and transport containers. I insist on that brand of litter just for this purpose.

Peter Aeschliman
08-31-2015, 5:19 PM

This!

I learned this lesson the hard way last week. Had to buy about 50 80lb bags of concrete at the big orange store. After my first load on one of those four-wheeled flat carts (with two swivel and two fixed casters), I realized I had made a huge mistake.

The next few loads went much better because I used one of those 6 wheeled carts designed just like Kent described. Light years easier to push and maneuver.

Bryan Hunt
09-04-2015, 5:54 PM
Two new additions to the shop this week. A Grizzly G0490X 8" parallelogram jointer with spiral cutter head and a Grizzly G0555LX 14" bandsaw.

The tractor I negotiated as part of the house is really coming in handy :cool:

I started setting up the jointer and found that one of the bolts on the fixed wheels on the base was bent. I called Grizzly and they are sending a replacement. I should get it Tuesday, so you will have to wait for more pics till then.

I did get the bandsaw set up but discovered the wheels are not coplanar. I'll try to find spacers for the top wheel this weekend. Took an hour to get the table clean - that was not fun.

I hope to get more dust collection duct and electrical installed this weekend - with pictures of course :)

Peter Aeschliman
09-04-2015, 5:58 PM
Congrats! New Ducks!

We still need a full tour of the shop though. Is that an MM16 behind your new bandsaw?

Bryan Hunt
09-04-2015, 6:05 PM
Why yes, that is an MM16. I'll post more pics of the shop once I get it all set up.

Steve Kinnaird
09-04-2015, 7:14 PM
Nice new toys :)
Looking forward to your progress.

Bryan Hunt
09-07-2015, 9:48 PM
Got some more work done on the dust collection ducts. I put in two skinny walls to help support the pipe and once the ducting is done, I'll run electrical in those walls.

Steve Kinnaird
09-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Coming together nicely !!!

Bryan Hunt
09-08-2015, 2:42 PM
Got the replacement bolt for my new Grizzly jointer today. Installed it and the wheel still does not turn. Called Grizzly and they set up to send me a new wheel and also suggested trying swapping with the wheel that was working to verify the wheel was the problem. Went out to the shop during lunch, swapped the wheel and it doesn't turn. It appears the problem is a manufacturing defect where the bracket inside the stand was not welded parallel to the stand and the wheel doesn't sit square in the slot. When you tighten the bolt down, the wheel pushes against the back of the bracket. Called Grizzly again, and they are sending me a new stand. Kind of a pain to swap out the internals, but I give Grizzly props for taking care of me.

paul cottingham
09-08-2015, 8:38 PM
Nice shop!
And dude, (arbitrary admin edit)!
looking forward to more pictures.

Bryan Hunt
09-11-2015, 2:12 PM
The jointer saga continues. Got the replacement stand from Grizzly today. I don't think it's going to work ...

I gave them a call and they asked for pics. They said they would contact me by Monday with the next step.

Peter Aeschliman
09-11-2015, 2:48 PM
Ouch. Is the stand just stamped sheet metal? If so, I imagine it would be pretty easy to bend it back to square assuming that the two short sides are parallel.

Bryan Hunt
09-18-2015, 8:31 PM
I received the new stand for the jointer tonight. The Saia driver was awesome. He arrived while I was out unexpectedly picking up my kids and waited 30 minutes for me to get back home. That was amazing customer service! I got the stand unpacked and the guts of the old stand transferred to the new stand. So far it looks good. I'll go back out to the shop tonight and try to make some progress. Pics will be forthcoming.

Randy Red Bemont
09-19-2015, 9:08 AM
I hope it all works out for you with the jointer. I have that one and it if fantastic.

Red