PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening: Question #1,001

Lud martinson
08-22-2015, 4:06 PM
Is DMT' s flat "duo sharp" diamond sharpening plate flat or not? I have the combo coarse/x-coarse "flat" plate that I assumed was the go to product for flattening water stones. Now, in LN's new catalog I'm reading about the Dia- flat lapping plate for slightly more than double the $$. Is this just marketing hype mumbo jumbo? I'm realizing my stones are not fine enough to produce the edge I want without buying 3k and 8k or better but is it necessary to get a lapping plate as well? The slightly frustrated rookie.

Mike Brady
08-22-2015, 5:34 PM
The Dia-Flat is flatter than their standard plates and has a coating that preserves the diamond matrix. It's also bigger. It definitely is better but the cost must be factored in.

ken hatch
08-22-2015, 5:47 PM
The DMT lapping plate works but is a PITA to use because of weight, size, and cleaning off the lapped grit. The Shapton diamond lapping plate costs almost twice as much and is worth every penny. It is light and easy to clean. If I were still using the DMT plate I doubt I would use waterstones, with the Shapton plate keeping waterstones flat is easy with little hassle.

ken

Lud martinson
08-22-2015, 6:55 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.