PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanity

Stan Krupowies
08-22-2015, 2:16 PM
SWMBO would like me to build a double vanity and cabinet for our bathroom. We are thinking about maple or cherry with a granite top. Is there a problem with either of these woods for this application? Also, what would be a good choice of natural finish
for use in a bathroom. The inside would be either shellac or water based poly, but I'm not sure what to do on the outside. If neither of these are good, is there a better choice? It's a normal bathroom with a vent fan that we use all the time for showers
so it's not too humid.

Thanks
Stan

Lee Schierer
08-22-2015, 2:19 PM
No problem at all.

This one is at least 8 years old now.320012It is solid maple except for the interior frames and plywood bottom. It was finished inside and out with water based polyurethane. Varathane Diamond Floor finish.

John TenEyck
08-22-2015, 2:42 PM
You can use any wood; it's the finish that will determine how long it looks good. Shellac is OK for a sealer, but definitely put something more durable over it. The best consumer products I've used are General Finishes Arm-R-Seal (oil based) and EnduroVar (water borne). Both are easy to apply, very hard, and very durable.

John

Jim Dwight
08-22-2015, 5:26 PM
Depending some on the exact maple you get, they are really pretty similar except for color. Maple is cheaper and obviously lighter in color - about like cherry sap wood. Cherry darkens with sunlight. So if you clear finish it, be prepared. If you used a UV blocking exterior varnish you can slow this. I like it but the effect varies and can make different pieces of wood that started out the same color end up quite different. As has been stated, neither will work well unless you put on a good finish and either will work well with that finish. My favorite is resisthane. Maple also varies a little I color. Hard maple is more expensive and I don't like the color as well. But hard maple would be more durable than soft maple or cherry. Maple and cherry also tend to have some nice figure in some boards. Possible to make some really nice panels in raised panel doors, for instance. Figured boards are better for something like a panel because they tend to be less stable.

Jeff Heil
08-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I built all of our bathroom vanities in cherry with poplar as a secondary wood for the interior and the drawers. Finished with GF ArmRseal as suggested by another post. The cherry has darkened and looks great after 2+ years. Cherry has held up well in all three bathrooms, including the kids with all their mess and splashing.

Mike Schuch
08-25-2015, 6:36 PM
Both maple and cherry are great woods for a vanity.

For Maple I would recommend a water based poly. An oil based poly on maple is too yellow for my tastes but if you don't mind a bit of yellow an oil based poly will protect just as well as the water based.

For cherry I would use an oil based poly. The yellow will not be noticeable on the darker cherry wood and will bring out more of the grain.

My favorite finish for cherry and darker wood is 1/3 Spar varnish + 1/3 linseed oil or tung oil + 1/3 turpentine. The measurements do not have to be exact, only approximate by volume. I will usually mix the first coat a little thinner so it penetrates a little better. I just wipe it on and sand after 3 or 4 coats before applying the final coat.