PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Ring Saw with their engraving?

Scott Shepherd
08-22-2015, 1:57 PM
I picked up a gently used Ring Saw the other day. I recall a conversation from a long time ago on here, but when I searched, I didn't find that many people had them.

Anyone using a Ring Saw out there? If so, what are you making with it? I know it rocks at cutting shapes out of glass, but we don't work with much glass. Just trying to find a use for it :) I couldn't help it, they wanted $100 for it and it's like new.

David Somers
08-22-2015, 2:10 PM
Good morning Steve!

Cool find. I assume you have a little table top kind used by glass workers? The only ones I have played with are the gas powered ones used in the field for extrication from auto wrecks. A smidge overkill for glass work though. <grin>

You might get into mosaics? I think folks use them for that. I assume it will cut metals like the big pups.

Fun! Hope you find some creative uses for it.

Dave

Dan Hintz
08-24-2015, 6:57 PM
I picked up a gently used Ring Saw the other day. I recall a conversation from a long time ago on here, but when I searched, I didn't find that many people had them.

Anyone using a Ring Saw out there? If so, what are you making with it? I know it rocks at cutting shapes out of glass, but we don't work with much glass. Just trying to find a use for it :) I couldn't help it, they wanted $100 for it and it's like new.

You lucky, lucky dog, you! When I first learned about them, I was dying to get one (still am, but it has taken a back burner to other pursuits). They're great for stone cutting, too (custom marble shapes).

Doug Griffith
08-25-2015, 12:46 PM
I have a ring saw but to be honest have never found a use for it. Freeform shapes from ceramics or glass seem to be the best use for this tool. Of course you can do straight cuts using the fence but anybody who buys a ring saw probably already has a typical tile cutter.