PDA

View Full Version : I hate it when that happens…

Brian Kent
08-22-2015, 11:11 AM
I hate it when I am putting shellac on a chalice and drop it in the sawdust.

I hate it when I clean out the shop vac, clean the shop vac filter, vacuum all of those out of the way places, and when I stop breathing, realize I never put the filter back.

I hate it when that happens.

What do you hate when it happens?

Reed Gray
08-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Hmm, well, when I head out to the shop to do some thing, and don't even make it to the shop before I forget what I was going to do... Well, actually I get 'distracted'.

robo hippy

Grant Wilkinson
08-22-2015, 12:19 PM
I hate it when I've put a lot of time and effort into a cedar bowl for a neighbour, turn it nicely, sand it to final, oil it and wait patiently for the oil to harden over a few weeks. Then fine sand and buff it to that it's quite nice. Then bounce it on the cement floor of my shop and watch it break perfectly into 2 pieces of firewood.

Prashun Patel
08-22-2015, 12:41 PM
Got a chuckle out of that shop vac story, brian.

Tony Rozendaal
08-22-2015, 1:54 PM
I hate it when I'm sanding at 320 and find a tool mark that I missed at 120, 180, and 220, clear across one end of a natural edge bowl, not that this couldn't have happened to me just this morning.

Eric Gourieux
08-22-2015, 2:23 PM
... when my lathe bites the dust and I'm still waiting on repairs

Brian Brown
08-22-2015, 2:44 PM
I hate it when:

I have a catch while roughing out a hollow form and break the tenon

I reverse chuck the same piece with the expansion jaws in the center hole, (so i can fix the tenon) and have a catch and crack the collar

I break the tenon a second time while roughing out the hollow form because I had a catch

I again reverse chuck the same piece with the expansion jaws in the center hole, (so i can fix the tenon again) and have a catch and break the collar off

I drop the chuck with a piece mounted that I have been working on for weeks , and get a small crack in the most delicate part of the piece

I use CA to fix the crack, and it leaves a dark stain

I ruin the above listed projects because I needed something to do while I have to wait for glue to dry on the piece I started originally

All of these have happened in the last two hours. Quite the day.

Apparently, I hate waiting for glue to dry!

Jack Mincey
08-22-2015, 4:55 PM
I been lucky not to do this but a few times in my time turning, but I do hate it when one turns the inside dia. larger than the outside dia. I just doesn't work well at all.
Jack

robert baccus
08-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I hate it when I spend the whole day repairing a chainsaw that ain't broken! Dam kickback lever.

robert baccus
08-22-2015, 10:33 PM
I hate it when I make 2 funnels in a week in pretty wood. I hate it when I spend an entire weekend repairing a chainsaw that ain't broken. Danm kickback lever!

Mike Campbell KS
08-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I hat it when I think my drill bits must need sharpening since it took so long to drill 4 pen blanks that I spend the rest of the night sharpening bits, only to find that the lathe is in reverse.

Mike Campbell KS
08-24-2015, 10:50 PM
I also hate it when I decide it "needs" one last finishing pass before sanding begins when Wham, I have a new piece for the fireplace.

Joe Bradshaw
08-25-2015, 9:21 AM
+ one to all the above. I have done them all at least once. When these things happen, I take it as a sign to quit for the day and enjoy a cool one.
Joe

Peter Blair
08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
I hate it when I finally get to my lathe to make something really cool that I thought of last week and now can't remember my great idea.

Peter Blair
08-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Hey Robert. I don't make any funnels any more after I made this jig. It does seem a little over engineered but is actually pretty easy to make and use. You may see it in "American Woodturner" in the near future.
https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com/?s=bottom+finder+jig
If you click this link it sort of takes you backwards as the latest posts are at the top. The original jig is discussed in the third post down.

Sean Hughto
08-25-2015, 11:04 AM
Where's the fun in that? ;)

Alan Gan
08-25-2015, 3:57 PM
I built my 1st custom Router table, solid core door cut, sanded and finished along with Oak trim cap. Then build my custom fence for table with nice slides and feather-boards. All looking custom with cool paint theme. I hate it when I measured the table twice for cutout for router plate, Now I am sailing, make hole off centered for room, all good. Until.....I place Fence on table and then remembered.... I change plans on the Table but not the Fence, Fence is designed for hole to be in center of table.

Prashun Patel
08-25-2015, 4:06 PM
I hate when I get through the 4th or 5th coat of finish and just as the glossy sheen is coming up, I can see that my I have a bump on the inside of the bowl so minor I can hardly feel it, but can definitely see it.

Solution? Fill it with fruit as soon as possible.

John Solie
08-25-2015, 7:44 PM
Dropping the Ren Wax and getting crud in it.

Tipping over the CA glue.

That little "tick" when you're turning a tricky piece, and you know you're taking light cuts.

Having a pen bushing (or other small implement) fall into the shavings.

This one might not be for everyone, but realizing that you now have several bees buzzing around in the shop.

robert baccus
08-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Actually I do use a big set of calipers ike yours. Being a purist I never felt comfortable with a lazer light, computers, ect. on the lathe. I seldom make funnels but My body is has been in dry dock lately and just very rusty at turning. I was close--on both I sanded through with 220. Now how to repair???

robert baccus
08-25-2015, 10:11 PM
How about spraying lacquer at night and suddenly realize that June bugs are swarming everywhere.

Scott Haddix
08-25-2015, 10:36 PM
I hate it when my wife realizes exactly how much money I've spent on my turning addiction recently.

Brian Kent
08-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Scott - A favorite joke I have heard:
I hate it when I die and my wife sells my tools for what I told her they cost.

Joe Stein
08-26-2015, 9:14 AM
I hate it when I have something in my hand, put it aside and then spend the next hour looking for it. Like when I spent an hour looking for my safety glasses and then realize they are sitting on top of my head.

Larry Matchett
08-26-2015, 9:59 AM
Hmm, well, when I head out to the shop to do some thing, and don't even make it to the shop before I forget what I was going to do... Well, actually I get 'distracted'.

robo hippy

Glad I am not the only one who does that. My wife calls it my happy wandering around the place. Kind of like 90% of my stuff is lost 90% of the time. Every day is kinda like Christmas. I seem to find something that was lost months ago every day. Might be the cause of my distractions.

David Delo
08-26-2015, 1:06 PM
I hate pinching the nose of the chain saw bar beyond repair, waiting a week for it to get delivered and discover you'll have to wait another week because you ordered the wrong bar.

Stan Smith
08-26-2015, 8:01 PM
I hate it when I discover I need a particular tool, buy it, and patiently wait for the delivery and then see it on sale a week later. Seems to happen to me a lot, too.

robert baccus
08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Even if your bride catches you with the bag in hand lie-lie-lie. Then when you sell a piece confess and go buy a new gouge.