PDA

View Full Version : Remote control enthusiasts - Im needing some food for thought

Brian Ashton
08-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Hi guys

I posted a new thread in the metal working area regarding a fairly involved project i have got on the go and am needing some in put on remote control electronics and such. If you have experience in this area I'd like to hear your thoughts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234537-Remote-control-enthusiasts

Overall I envision a bed for a young adult with the theme of "heavy construction zone". It will have 2 fully operational cranes attached to the foot board that I'm thinking (unless you have some interesting ideas) will be controlled from a central console... The operator will be able to assemble one of the cranes using the other... The headboard will be shaped like a big dozer blade and the rails will be fairly robust with "heavy construction authorised personnel only" written across them...

I have a couple questions in the other thread I'd like some feed back on thx

Alan Hick
08-22-2015, 1:46 AM
When you said "remote control", I was thinking "stuff that flies", like the "drones" which are so much in the news of late, and which I build and fly and could probably really help you with.

But then I read your description. I've built stuff in the past that had to spin, or go back and forth, or up and down, etc. For what you're proposing I'd look at something like a Baldor GP7400 1/8th HP motor, driven by something like the Baldor BC115 speed control. The speed control has a rheostat-type control that allows you to vary the speed down to 0 rpm, and it has a reverse switch. And that, I think, is what you'll be looking at--some knobs to control speed, and some switches to control direction. Mount the controllers in a console somewhere near the head of the bed, and bob's your uncle, so to speak.