PDA

View Full Version : D8 handle swapping

Steve Voigt
08-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Greetings all,

I have a D8 with a very nice apple handle and a shot, pitted plate. And I have another with a crap handle and a plate in good condition. It seems logical to mix and match, but of course the holes don't quite match up. I'm considering two options:

1) file the holes with a chainsaw file until they fit. I think this would be the easier course of action. I'm a little worried that this might cause the plate to loosen and slide back and forth in the handle, though I think it's unlikely.

2) grind 3/8"-1/2" off the back of the plate, so I can slide the handle in past the existing holes, and then drill 5 new holes. It seems like more work, but might be a cleaner job.

I should mention that the "good" plate has "Room 7 building G" stenciled deeply into the plate, so it has no collector's value whatsoever; it's just a nice user with no pitting and a nice patina.

So, anybody done either of these approaches and have any suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.?

John Vernier
08-22-2015, 12:21 AM
I have filed holes in saw plates as you describe. It worked well enough, and I have had no problems with slippage. If you tighten the nuts properly the handle pinches the blade with plenty of force to keep everything where you put it.

Steve Voigt
08-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks John, I will give that a try.