PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish blade guides and thrust bearings on MM16 band saw --- remedies?

Dan Forman
08-21-2015, 9:02 PM
The euro style blade guides and thrust bearings on my MM16 aren't turning as freely as they used to. Can I try to flush them out with a little mineral spirits? I assume oil would be a bad thing due to mixing with dust in tight quarters. Any other ideas? Thanks,

Dan

Jamie Buxton
08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
I fought for years with those Euro style guides on my LT16HD. I went so far as to fabricate my own thrust bearing, somewhat like a Carter guide. Ultimately I ash-canned the things, and bought ceramic guides from Laguna. I'd bet dollars to donuts that those guides can be fitted to a MM16.

Erik Loza
08-22-2015, 9:48 AM
Sure, you could switch to different guides if you want but I'll bet the Euro-guides are just gummed up with pitch or sawdust. Just dissasemble and soak in mineral spirits. There are no actual "bearings" in those bearings to fail. It's just a bronze bushing, which is pretty loose in tolerance. So, crud gets in there. Hope this helps.

Erik

Dan Forman
08-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Thanks Eric, that's what I thought, glad to get confirmation. Can't really afford to go the ceramic route right now.

Dan

Erik Loza
08-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Dan, blast the bushings out with some aerosol brake cleaner, then let them soak for a while in mineral spirits. They will be cleaner than when they came new, from the factory.

Erik

Dan Forman
08-23-2015, 1:30 AM
Thanks for the tip, will do.