PDA

View Full Version : Modifiying your Cutter

Kristopher Powers
08-21-2015, 8:15 PM
Hey all, This may be a crazy idea, but I was wondering if it would be possible to set up my laser (rabbit) as a wireless setup ether by connecting it via RJ45 to my modem or to a wireless USB modem. Has anybody done this and had success? Other Ideas I am having: What about creating an automation system (jobs finishes and loads a removes and adds new materiel)? What about running jobs remotely via VNC/VPN or the like? Having automatic emails to your customers after a job is done or about to be done? Ideas not necessarily on the cutter: Web cams so your customers can see progress? Job boards/Estimated time to start posts? (to let your customers when to show up)

David Somers
08-21-2015, 9:57 PM
Kristopher,

I can't speak to the idea of automated material handling on a laser, though I have never seen anything like that in use or discussed or advertised. But one thing I would be cautious about is anything that removes you from close proximity to the laser. Remember that fires can be common depending on the materials you cut or engrave. If you are not right there what is a minor annoyance that can be quickly dealt with using a little water atomizer spritzer can turn into something major that could threaten your expensive machine or even your shop? When I run my laser I stay right with it through the entire job, and have a water spritzer and a CO2 extinquisher within reach should anything go wrong.

Doing a Web Cam for your customers is a fun idea. The laser is cool and sharing its coolness may be fun for many people. Beyond that I would tend to keep notifications simple with a simple email or text or phone call. Most email systems, Gmail for example, have the ability to have standard email messages stored that you can quickly call up. Gmail calls them canned responses and they can be done up in the Labs section of Settings.
Curious to see what others know about automation in the laser world?

Dave

Joe Hillmann
08-21-2015, 10:52 PM
With galvo lasers it is very common to have automation that can be controlled by the laser. I would think the same thing could be done if with a gantry machine if there is some type of signal at the end of the run that you could use to signal the start of a program with an arduino or raspberry. Depending on the type of software in the laser you still may have to hit start once the automation does its thing.

Ray Scott
08-24-2015, 12:25 PM
It is possible to add some automation to the laser machines. The Rabbit Laser brand uses the standard Leetro controller (65x5 models) . Every Leetro controller has digital outputs for (1) Auxiliary Air Assist, (2) Working status, (3) USB disk status ...

I have used the Air Assist function to control the laser air assist as a "high flow" and "low flow" feature. There are just times when you want a high amount of air... sometimes you need "subtle air flow" .. you should always have some sort of air assist to help protect the lens.

I have used the "Working Status" pin to control the vacuum air system. The pin goes active when the project starts.... The pin de-activates when the project is done. I connected the pin to an Arduino controller. The Arduino controller triggers a "wireless appliance switch" and so it turns on the blower fan. The fan continues to run for a preset time period after the laser project is done... then the Arduino shuts the fan off by triggering the wireless "fan off" switch. The Arduino also has a 3-AA battery backup so that it can shut down the blower fan in case of an "emergency stop" situation.

The Leetro controller interfaces to the HMI (operator PAD) through the RS232 connector and uses the Modbus protocol. This means that you can use a industrial PLC or other interface to control the laser machine. The wiring and functions are best described in the hardware user manual for the 6515 controller. The protocol and system settings are Modbus, 9600bps, 8-bit, NO parity, 1 stop bit. There are plenty of data and command functions including processing time, Working Status, Start, Stop, ...etc. The user manual claims there is an example of the Modbus programming, but I have never seen the example. I have never made a Modbus program for interfacing the laser system. In a twisted kind of way, it might be interesting to make a custom HMI system.

After interfacing the laser pins or Modbus... the wireless part is all up to you and your controller system.

Thank You,

Rich Harman
08-24-2015, 5:29 PM
It is possible to add some automation to the laser machines. The Rabbit Laser brand uses the standard Leetro controller (65x5 models) . Every Leetro controller has digital outputs for (1) Auxiliary Air Assist, (2) Working status, (3) USB disk status ...

The RDLC320 (what brand is that?) controller also has similar outputs. I've come close to utilizing them but just never got around to it. Maybe someday...