PDA

View Full Version : Strange thing at the blue BORG yesterday...

Joe Kieve
08-21-2015, 11:50 AM
I went to the blue borg yesterday and picked up a can of Johnson's Paste Wax. Price had gone from $2.50/can (the last time I bought some) to $6.48/can. Anyhow, when I got home and opened it, it was liquid, about the consistencey of honey. I figured that even if it had been in a hot environment, when it cooled it should have returned to a paste.

I returned the can today and the customer service person said that was the second can she had seen returned like that this week. I picked up a new can (opened it before I left the store) and the new stuff isn't even the old amber color; it's sort of a gray/brown.

Has Johnson's changed their formula?

Jim Koepke
08-21-2015, 1:51 PM
The can of Johnson's Paste Wax in my shop is old enough it might still say Johnson & Johnson.

It could be a bad batch.

Then there is this:

http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/sc-johnson/sc-johnson-paste-wax.aspx

There is a number to call if you so desire.

jtk

Erik Loza
08-21-2015, 2:12 PM
I have some metal polish paste that is like that. Once it heats up to a certain temperature, it converts into a liquid and even though it cools down and "somewhat" solidifies, I think a chemical reaction takes place that permanently alters it's physical state. It never goes back to how it was once it gets heated like that. Wonder of that's the same with the paste wax?

Erik

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 2:16 PM
If you are using this on plane soles, beware- this sounds like it may have silicon in it, which will inhibit adhesion of finishes. I went to the auto store and found some pure carnauba wax for that purpose.

Kent A Bathurst
08-21-2015, 3:31 PM
I gots me a nice spray bottle of camellia oil. LIttle bit goes a long way.

Joe Kieve
08-21-2015, 4:36 PM
About the only thing I ever use it for is machine tops, table saw, bandsaw, jointer, etc. That why it lasted almost 20 years.