PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised Derek hasn't posted a review of this new Veritas Miter Plane

Hilton Ralphs
08-21-2015, 3:56 AM
Saw this yesterday on the Lee Valley site but haven't noticed any noise on the forums. Seems pretty neat.

Derek, where's your review? :)

Veritas Miter Plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=73208&cat=51&ap=1).

Frederick Skelly
08-21-2015, 6:59 AM
That's pretty neat!

Could someone tell me when I'd use this vs their "regular" shooting plane? I'm not familiar with Scottish Miter Planes and I'm wondering if this could be used for both?

Thanks Hilton!
Fred

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 8:27 AM
WOW!!! How did I not see this? This is awesome. It would be great for someone with less budget needing a general purpose plane. This makes a lot of sense. To answer Frederick's question, I think this would simply be a smaller plane that can also do other things a block plane can do. I'm sure the height of cut is smaller, but I would think most of the time you're planing 1" thickness or thereabout anyway. The downside would be less inertia, so it's going to be a bit harder to push through the grain, and smaller footprint means more care would need to be taken to keep it on track.

By the way, their large miter plane is a dream to use, and a real beauty to behold as well. It's my favorite specialty tool.

EDIT!!! I just went to their site and this is larger than the image made it seem. It's 10.5" long, and 2 5/8" wide. It is also heavy at 5 pounds. Still a bit smaller than the long shooter, but the image made me think it was closer to the size of a smaller block plane. Still it could have other uses whereas the larger shooter is only a shooter.

Hilton Ralphs
08-21-2015, 8:34 AM
By the way, their large miter plane is a dream to use, and a real beauty to behold as well. It's my favorite specialty tool.

Are you referring to the shooting plane?

Stewie Simpson
08-21-2015, 8:38 AM
Be nice if it was fitted with a skewed blade so it slices the fibres downwards, but that would also mean you would need a left and right hand version.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 9:00 AM
Are you referring to the shooting plane?

That's it... it's early, and the coffee has not kicked in. I love that thing. It's very heavy and I actually have plans to make a 10' long shooting board and start shooting edges instead of using a jointer plane. That way I get a perfectly square jointed edge. (I buy a lot of rough-cut mahogany and joint one edge, then dimension it lengthwise on the table saw, and finish it out from there with hand tools.)

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 9:00 AM
Be nice if it was fitted with a skewed blade so it slices the fibres downwards, but that would also mean you would need a left and right hand version.

You read my mind on both points.

Tony Shea
08-21-2015, 10:41 AM
It kind of fills a hole that doesn't exist, if you ask me. I'm not sure why this is any different than the low angle line of planes that has their sides parallel to the sole. For years I used my LV low angle jack plane as a shooting plane and just loved it. The only thing that would have made it better was a hot dog attachment but never got around to making one. That is really the only difference I see worth mentioning between this plane and the low angle planes, it has a nice handle to grip while the plane is on its side. But I think the smaller size would be a disadvantage when using it for shooting.

I currently have the LV shooting plane and wouldn't trade it in for anything. I use this thing a lot and when it's sharp it makes end grain seem like slicing butter.

Derek Cohen
08-21-2015, 10:48 AM
Derek, where's your review? :)

Hi Hylton

I was not involved with this plane. There are a good many others who handle and test the LV planes pre-production. I have just been the only one to write a review.

This looks a nice plane and the brief is different from the shooting plane. The straight blade makes it a more economical choice for one who shoots left- and right, as well as having a low enough cutting angle to use it straight or skewed on a mitre jack.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
08-21-2015, 10:56 AM
I would like to see your 10' long shooting board when you make it, please.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 10:58 AM
It kind of fills a hole that doesn't exist, if you ask me. I'm not sure why this is any different than the low angle line of planes that has their sides parallel to the sole. For years I used my LV low angle jack plane as a shooting plane and just loved it. The only thing that would have made it better was a hot dog attachment but never got around to making one. That is really the only difference I see worth mentioning between this plane and the low angle planes, it has a nice handle to grip while the plane is on its side. But I think the smaller size would be a disadvantage when using it for shooting.

I currently have the LV shooting plane and wouldn't trade it in for anything. I use this thing a lot and when it's sharp it makes end grain seem like slicing butter.

You make a very good point- I forgot about the LA Jack, which is what I also used before the Shooting plane came out. I guess it satisfies a niche somehwere. I had never heard of a Scottish shooting plane. I have, however, heard of Scotch shooters, which is a whole other subject that has nothing to do with woodworking, other than they will put you on the woodwork.

Jim Koepke
08-21-2015, 11:06 AM
It's 10.5" long, and 2 5/8" wide.

Kind of a low angle, fat #4-1/2. It isn't listed as yet on the plane page. Had to type "miter plane" into the search box.

Before purchasing a low angle jack plane my favorite shooting plane was a #65 block plane. Not the best thing for wide stock.

jtk

Adam Stevens2
08-21-2015, 11:43 AM
You make a very good point- I forgot about the LA Jack, which is what I also used before the Shooting plane came out. I guess it satisfies a niche somehwere. I had never heard of a Scottish shooting plane. I have, however, heard of Scotch shooters, which is a whole other subject that has nothing to do with woodworking, other than they will put you on the woodwork.

I think the Scottish shooters are referring to the infill miter planes made by the likes of Spiers and Mathieson - I've seen them on ebay selling for outlandish prices.

Nicholas Lawrence
08-21-2015, 12:50 PM
I actually have plans to make a 10' long shooting board and start shooting edges instead of using a jointer plane. That way I get a perfectly square jointed edge.

I picked up an adjustable fence a few years ago that clamps onto the side of my jointer. It references the face of the stock, so you want to flatten at least one face first, but once you do that it does a nice job of leaving a square jointed edge. I have used it with 8' boards with good results.

It is also adjustable, so if I want to bevel a long edge at 45, or anything else that comes to mind I can set it to do that. They pop up every now and again on the auction site for about $40 or so.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2015, 1:15 PM
I picked up an adjustable fence a few years ago that clamps onto the side of my jointer. It references the face of the stock, so you want to flatten at least one face first, but once you do that it does a nice job of leaving a square jointed edge. I have used it with 8' boards with good results.

It is also adjustable, so if I want to bevel a long edge at 45, or anything else that comes to mind I can set it to do that. They pop up every now and again on the auction site for about $40 or so.

i have that attachment for my Veritas jointer, but I often joint the edge first before planing because I often rip the board into smaller pieces and then edge joint those. The jointed edge of the large plank becomes the face of the boards.

Kent A Bathurst
08-21-2015, 2:02 PM
I'm not sure why this is any different than the low angle line of planes that has their sides parallel to the sole..

Nor am I. My LN #62 LAJ plus a hotdog...........I must be missing something here other than brand loyalty? Maybe the adjustable mouth is a big advancement and I don't realize it? That "shooting horn" is pretty snazzy, but still........... :confused: :confused:

Maurice Ungaro
08-21-2015, 3:01 PM
Heck, my LA Jack has an adjustable mouth. Now, I do like the nifty, web nestling knob protrusion thing.