PDA

View Full Version : What is your privacy worth?

Mark Blatter
08-20-2015, 3:13 PM
There is a chain of gas stations in my area called Maverik. They are reasonably nice and sell lots of ready made food, plus gas and all the other stuff. They now offer, similar to Kroger's or Safeway, a discount card. You get $.49 off a 44 ounce pop (yes I know it is not good for you) or $.02 off a gallon of gas, etc. I went to sign up for one, but they want my mobile phone #, my email address, just so much info that I know they will turn around and sell to the highest bidder. It got me thinking, just how much is my privacy worth? I decided to pass on the card and pay full retail for what they sell.

The same thing happened with a few apps I looked at and what they require. There is one called Wave that is a traffic alert app. I used it in the past and enjoyed it, but when I went to install it on a new phone, they require all my contacts and a bunch of other info that has nothing to do with the app. The only reason is so they can sell the info. Not worth it, so I didn't install it.

Am I just being a Neanderthal or is my paranoia reasonable?

Stan Calow
08-20-2015, 3:25 PM
yes your paranoia is reasonable. I am surprised at how easily most people give up that info to anybody in exchange for a discount.

Anthony Whitesell
08-20-2015, 3:35 PM
It depends on how much information they want. For times when they want but don't need an email address, I have an email account for just such a purpose. Let's just say I'm not the best typist. My phone number or address/zip code often has typos. :rolleyes:

Mark Blatter
08-20-2015, 3:46 PM
It depends on how much information they want. For times when they want but don't need an email address, I have an email account for just such a purpose. Let's just say I'm not the best typist. My phone number or address/zip code often has typos. :rolleyes:

I do that as well, but now they often require a text to you phone with a code to activate the account. No way to activate it without a valid phone number.

Dave Anderson NH
08-20-2015, 4:06 PM
I jealously guard my privacy. I'm constantly asked by people I buy things from for my email address so they can "inform me and provide better service." I am direct and tell them no, I already get enough spam. I do not give out any personal info unless there is a very good reason it is needed. It has been political season here in NH for months now with candidates up the ying yang. It's hard to go anywhere without tripping over on of the 167 Republicans or the 3 Democrats. The phone polls and offers to "town meetings", coffee meetings, etc, etc have become a royal pain. Concurrently we are getting tons of solicitations for contributions, junk mail, and emailed political spam. Anyone want a free first in the nation primary?

Steve Peterson
08-20-2015, 4:10 PM
Consider the market cap of Google at $450 billion and Facebook at $260 billion. These 2 companies don't really sell anything except advertising, yet they are worth nearly $100 for every person on the planet. There is a lot of money to be made from advertising.

I try to avoid giving away my personal information as much as possible. My price is somewhere between $10 and $20 before I will give up any info. Mail in rebates under $10 are completely ignored, and that is just for my name and address.

Steve

Bruce Page
08-20-2015, 4:15 PM
I don't give them anything, especially if it has anything to do with my phone. You want me to sell my soul for a petty discount? Ain't gonna happen!
I have a gmail account for the times where I'm willing to bend a little bit.

Phil Thien
08-20-2015, 4:37 PM
I avoid shopping anywhere that has a discount card. I find the prices are inflated so they can discount them. I use a small (but big-time pumper) nearby gas station that seems a few pennies less expensive w/o a discount card, as compared to the big fancy place with all the food and stuff.

Same with groceries, I shop at Aldi where they keep the prices low w/o any nonsense.

If I find some sort of discount that is too good to pass up and where I might want them to have my contact details (like when I buy a new car, or tires), I'll give them my data. That way I figure they can notify me of a problem (and they have).

If I want the discount and don't think I'll benefit from them having my specifics, I just give them either Dave Anderson's or Bruce Page's phone #'s.

Dan Hintz
08-20-2015, 4:52 PM
Most cards like that just require you to fill in any old info... doesn't have to be valid. For the cards that require "real" info (such as the "we'll send you a PIN" types), call the company and tell them you want the card without providing that personal info. They are required to give it to you by law. For the same reason those generic grocery cards can be swiped by the cashier when you don't have one with you, they cannot offer discounts to a subset of people.

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2015, 5:49 PM
Don't be naive, sports fans.

Your email and cell are already known. The bare minimum is the NSA. I'm sure they don't care about a bunch of woodworkers, but: They. Do. Know.

With all the giant corporations that have reported being hacked - including govco - your info got out there somehow, somewhere, somewhen, to somebody.

And - all the "legit" businesses - I am positive that the reputable names that say your info is protected are telling the truth. But - it is still out there in those residences. Waiting for the day...

Be vigilant to unwarranted access to accounts and credit cards - Amex got an odd request last week, and so immediately shut down my card, and cancelled it, and then started relentlessly calling and emailing me until I responded. They were on it in microseconds, and a replacement card arrived in <24 hours.

I have a nephew - brilliant doesn't do him justice. One of those gunslingers with a few laptops in a backpack, a motorcycle, and a Have Gun Will Travel rep. He goes everywhere domestic and international. 10 minutes conversation with him about the state of the global databases on individuals will cause you to sigh, and have another beer, because that is the best you can do.

And - if you think the internet robotic gizmos have not logged my comments in this post, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn..........

Bruce Page
08-20-2015, 6:13 PM
With all the giant corporations that have reported being hacked - including govco - your info got out there somehow, somewhere, somewhen, to somebody.

I know my info is out there, I was part of the OPM hack. I just don't need to give it to every tom dick & harry that asks for it.
Phil does it for me. :eek:

Larry Edgerton
08-20-2015, 6:27 PM
Just say NO!

If I had only heeded that advise in the seventies..........

If they really insist on an email address I give them my ex wife's.:D

Larry Frank
08-20-2015, 7:02 PM
The scariest thing is to read the permissions for apps on your phone. Who cares about NSA, the people running the apps know it all.

Scott Shepherd
08-20-2015, 7:11 PM
As a general note, a lot of them don't "require" you fill out anything. I don't put those cards in my wallet or on my keychain, I mostly keep a couple in my console. I went into one the other night and didn't have a card. I asked the lady if she had an application, she handed me one, scanned the card, and said "bring the form back next time you come back", and I walked out, threw the form in the trash and put the new card in my console. If it stops working because of no info tied to it, I'll ask for another one and repeat.

Phil Thien
08-20-2015, 8:45 PM
I know my info is out there, I was part of the OPM hack. I just don't need to give it to every tom dick & harry that asks for it.
Phil does it for me. :eek:

I didn't see your name in the Ashley Madison data, so you're safe there.

Brian Henderson
08-20-2015, 9:10 PM
I don't give any information to anyone, I don't sign up for any of those stupid discount cards where they track your purchases, etc. They don't have to know and if they want to know, they don't get any info. I have a spam e-mail address that I use, it even says "spam" in it, that's all they get. If I have to run over to it to "verify" the address, I will, empty the trash while I'm there and never see anything else they have to send.

Brian Elfert
08-20-2015, 10:36 PM
If you use a credit or debit card stores will use that to track your purchases. They don't need a discount card to track your purchases.

I know Target uses credit card numbers to track purchases because I have gotten coupons at the register for stuff I previously purchased.

Kent A Bathurst
08-20-2015, 11:22 PM
I didn't see your name in the Ashley Madison data, so you're safe there.

BOOM!!! goes the dynamite. :p :p

Brian Ashton
08-21-2015, 9:35 AM
I jealously guard my privacy. SNIP

I have a great email for those idiots. It's jambthespam@... Once they spell it out and see the smile on my face they tend to give me the stink eye. If anyone of these trolls actually sends anything to it they get a fairly nasty auto reply back. Phone number and address are always off by a few digits. So the mail doesn't go to anyone else the number I use doesn't exist.

Mike Cashman
08-21-2015, 7:03 PM
If I'm paying cash and they ask for a phone number it's 202-456-1111.

Tom M King
08-21-2015, 8:00 PM
When asked for zipcode, mine is 90210. Phone number is 876-5301.

Kent A Bathurst
08-21-2015, 8:32 PM
When asked for zipcode, mine is 90210. Phone number is 876-5301.

Why not 867-5309, Tommy? :p

Steve Kinnaird
08-21-2015, 8:38 PM
Is BR549 available? :D

Tom M King
08-21-2015, 9:31 PM
Why not 867-5309, Tommy? :p That's what I meant. Long week. THanks.

Tom Stenzel
08-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Why not 867-5309, Tommy? :p

Why do you want to give Jenny your problems, Kent? What did she do to you? Why are you still mad at her after all these years?

I remember 30 years ago a guy I worked with filled out all those warranty cards with "John Q. Public".

When I still bothered to fill them out I used different variations on my name. When I got the inevitable junk mail I could see what weasel had sold them 'my' name. This info selling has been going on a long time but it has really gone into overdrive lately.

-Tom

Kent A Bathurst
08-22-2015, 12:14 AM
That's what I meant. Long week. THanks.

No sweat - I followed you. I was not taking liberty with your first name - that was a hook to Tommy Tutone - you just happened to fit the bill, that's all.

Brian Ashton
08-22-2015, 12:56 AM
For the most part those reading this thread are not the target of such spam. We're older and jaded, in a good way... Those trolls are looking for gen "no clue" who will post most anything of themselves on their fav social media site and have no clue about the future consequences...

Mark Blatter
08-22-2015, 1:19 AM
Is BR549 available? :D

My preference would be 234-5789.

Moses Yoder
08-22-2015, 6:48 AM
I recently applied for an apartment and was required to let them do a background check online which included giving them access to my bank account to withdraw $20 for the cost of the check. I had to give them name social security number bank routing and account # email and telephone #. I knew I was basically putting my life in their hands took the risk anyway and am setting here today enjoying life in my new room. I believe anyone who thinks their information is safe is delusional anyway. In today's electronic world there is no such thing as a bank account that is safe from being hacked. I don't rely on the idea that my info is safe to have peace of mind, I rely on my ability to take care of myself regardless of the situation. I agree that I would not just randomly post my bank account and routing # on Facebook but I did give my real email and such to BP.

Brian Ashton
08-22-2015, 9:43 AM
I recently applied for an apartment and was required to let them do a background check online which included giving them access to my bank account to withdraw $20 for the cost of the check. I had to give them name social security number bank routing and account # email and telephone #. I knew I was basically putting my life in their hands took the risk anyway and am setting here today enjoying life in my new room. I believe anyone who thinks their information is safe is delusional anyway. In today's electronic world there is no such thing as a bank account that is safe from being hacked. I don't rely on the idea that my info is safe to have peace of mind, I rely on my ability to take care of myself regardless of the situation. I agree that I would not just randomly post my bank account and routing # on Facebook but I did give my real email and such to BP.

I would have kept looking for an apt where the managers weren't so invasive. Would you give a blood sample to an insurance company?

Chuck Wintle
08-22-2015, 11:49 AM
IMHO there is no such thing as real privacy, but rather we have the illusion that privacy exists. To those who know how to obtain information about individuals we are more like an open book. Everything we do or say leaves a trail of some sort.

Glenn Clabo
08-22-2015, 5:51 PM
It's it funny that when I searched...this is what came up?
Thread: What is your privacy worth? - Sawmill Creek Woodworking ... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234494-What-is-your-privacy-worth)www.sawmillcreek.org › ... › Off Topic Forum

3 days ago - 9 posts - ‎8 authors
There is a chain of gas stations in my area called Maverik. They are reasonably nice and sell lots of ready made food, plus gas and all the other ...

Phil Thien
08-22-2015, 6:49 PM
It's it funny that when I searched...this is what came up?
Thread: What is your privacy worth? - Sawmill Creek Woodworking ... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234494-What-is-your-privacy-worth)

www.sawmillcreek.org › ... › Off Topic Forum

3 days ago - 9 posts - ‎8 authors
There is a chain of gas stations in my area called Maverik. They are reasonably nice and sell lots of ready made food, plus gas and all the other ...

We should all be using aliases.

Glenn Clabo
08-22-2015, 7:35 PM
We should all be using aliases.
it only gives you a false sense of security and something to make you think you can say anything you want. Real names keeps it much more civil.

Brian Henderson
08-22-2015, 8:38 PM
it only gives you a false sense of security and something to make you think you can say anything you want. Real names keeps it much more civil.

It doesn't mean a thing because it's all online. There are lots of people with the same name and even if there weren't, nobody is within spitting distance so people are going to say what they are going to say because it doesn't reflect on them directly. Besides, people can just make up a name to use here, there's no way to verify it.

Leo Graywacz
08-22-2015, 8:40 PM
Since I own a website domain I can make my own email addresses. If I need to supply an email address I make up a new one and give them that. I have it forwarded to my main email address. The main address is never seen by them. If for whatever reason I no longer want to hear from them I delete it. I won't give out my cell phone number. But I will give out my business number. If I don't recognize the number you can talk to the machine.

Phil Thien
08-22-2015, 9:07 PM

I was only joking around.

But, using aliases absolutely helps in protecting your privacy. Again, I'm not saying we should be doing that and I'm fine with using my real name, but I do know people reluctant to join SMC because of the policy.

Moses Yoder
08-22-2015, 9:17 PM
Since I own a website domain I can make my own email addresses. If I need to supply an email address I make up a new one and give them that. I have it forwarded to my main email address. The main address is never seen by them. If for whatever reason I no longer want to hear from them I delete it. I won't give out my cell phone number. But I will give out my business number. If I don't recognize the number you can talk to the machine.

Aren't you giving out your cell phone number every time you call someone with your cell phone? Or do you use a blocker of some sort?

Leo Graywacz
08-22-2015, 9:22 PM
Aren't you giving out your cell phone number every time you call someone with your cell phone? Or do you use a blocker of some sort?

I don't call random strangers. People I am calling I want to talk to and likely it'll be a longer term relationship.

Mark Blatter
08-26-2015, 11:06 AM
IMHO there is no such thing as real privacy, but rather we have the illusion that privacy exists. To those who know how to obtain information about individuals we are more like an open book. Everything we do or say leaves a trail of some sort.

This morning when I opened Firefox I noticed a new option for an add-on program called Lightbeam. It is designed to track and show all programs tracking me. I installed it, and likely made it easier for Mozilla to track me, but the result is interesting. I have visited 6 web pages this morning, but am being tracked by 75 third parties. As Chuck said, there is no such thing as privacy.

The more I know, the less I want to be on-line.

Dan Hintz
08-26-2015, 3:51 PM
This morning when I opened Firefox I noticed a new option for an add-on program called Lightbeam. It is designed to track and show all programs tracking me. I installed it, and likely made it easier for Mozilla to track me, but the result is interesting. I have visited 6 web pages this morning, but am being tracked by 75 third parties. As Chuck said, there is no such thing as privacy.

The more I know, the less I want to be on-line.

I opt-in to certain cookies, rather than just try to block the most egregious ones. Once I determine the minimum number of cookies necessary for a specific site, I block everything else. Ads are already blocked, so between those two prongs of attack, I have no worries.